Kudos to the developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oko

Contributor
I would like to leave this electronic trace as a testimony to the good work of FreeNAS developers. A casual reader of this forum will conclude that FreeNAS is terrible product based upon questions and problems but the truth is that FreeNAS most of the time works as advertised.

Today I upgraded one FreeNAS 9.2.1.5 box with over 10 TB of live data to FreeNAS 9.2.1.9 and everything went as advertised. The box had uptime of close to 300 days but few students who used NFS to do that science locked the box 2-3 days ago with careless writing from memory leaking runaway scripts. After rebooting few computing nodes I made decision that the easiest way to clear bunch of stale NFS file handles was just to reboot the server. The decision was helped by the fact that rsync GUI on 9.2.1.5 had a bug which made it useless (from GUI). I turned off services (NFS, SSH, LDAP, SNMP, SMART), switched single jail which runs Monit (one four monitoring tools we use in the Lab), made sure that a scabbing is not in progress, made one final backup of the configuration database and took the plunge.

Server was up and running upgraded version of 9.2.1.9 FreeNAS 20 minutes later (I have 36 TB of row disk space so booting takes a while).

Kudos to developers for a golden release 9.2.1.5 which served me well close to a year and 9.2.1.9 which I already run on another rig since November of last year.

zambanini

Patron
yeah, we run a couple of fn9.2.1.7 as master nodes. nice ad smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.