Just Saying Hello, First FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data_Hog

Cadet
Hello,

I have been reading the forums for a couple of months and wanted to join the community. I am on my second retail NAS box and growing tired of the limitations. I have been running/testing FreeNAS 9.3 with VMware for a few months, I am ready to take the dive into a dedicated box. Below is the list for my first FreeNAS build, I hope it does not sound to bad. I am mainly looking to have a NAS that I can safely store/share my data while running a few plugins with some room to grow and stream Plex (5+ Users).

Also, I choose the LRDIMM since it is faster, but can I safely run FreeNAS with one stick of ram?

MB: Supermicro MBD-X10SRL-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2620 v3
RAM: Samsung 32GB LRDIMM DDR4 2133 (M386A4G40DM0-CPB) – 1x
HDD: HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB – 3x
PSU: SeaSonic G Series 550
PSU Cooler: Supermicro SNK-P0050AP4
Case: Fractal Define R5
OS Boot Drive: SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 16GB – 2x

Price: $1825.04 (NewEgg.com)

Thank For You Help

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Pimp as hell. A bit of a mega-overkill on the RAM. You'd have been more than fine (MORE than fine) with 16GB in this configuration and use case.

Also, good call, spinning yourself up in VMWare Player. I recommend that as self-training. Few people have the foresight to do that before they hit the bare metal. Good job, sir.

Welcome.

Data_Hog

Cadet
Thanks for the feedback.

So, I am safe to run this puppy with only one stick of RAM?

Thanks For Your Help

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well there can be performance issues is you don't fill a bank of RAM. I don't know, you'll have to check that out. But certainly, 32GB isn't even remotely necessary for the set-up you have quoted. You are certainly fine with 16GB, and shit, there's a 92% chance you'd be fine with 8GB.

Data_Hog

Cadet
Thanks for the fast reply. I did not want to fill all my banks up with 4GB sticks and hit a brick wall. Also, I plan to add more HDD, but want this box to last for years to come. I will scan the forums for how much performance will be lost for not filling the other three banks.

Thanks For Your Help

mutti_wilson

Cadet
You'll need 4 sticks for quad channel which that processor is made to work at. Would be kind of a shame to run that thing at single channel speeds. I would go with 4x8GB sticks if it were me. I just built an X99 system and went with 4x4GB and can throw in another 4 sticks later for more if needed.

Data_Hog

Cadet
Thank for the advice "mutti_wilson", I went with 4 x 8GB instead. I placed the order sunday night, hope the parts quickly and hand the system running by sunday.

Thanks For The Help

Data_Hog

Cadet
I hope so, I want it to last 5-10 years, that is why I went a little overboard.

Thanks For The Help

gpsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.