Hello from Central MN !!

jblnut

Cadet
After a LONG TEDIOUS search for a custom built NAS solution (Google reported 0.012876sec) I have landed upon the world of FreeNAS. I searched high and low (wasn't hard to find FreeNAS) for something that wasn't a cheesy out of the box solution like I am already using (Drobo 5n) and I have decided to dive into the world of FreeNAS and all it has to offer. I will be starting with a simple file server used to house movies, music, TV shows, you know, Plex stuff. I hope it blossoms into a long term relationship that I can incorporate into my work world on a daily basis.

I have been gathering parts for a few months to build a FreeNAS server and should be ready to let the pixies flow through the circuits soon. I decided to go simple with a SuperMicro M/B and a single Xeon processor, a bit of RAM, an 850w Seasonic PSU, a Roswill 4U chassis (POS DO NOT BUY) and a random selection of disks off my shelf to see what I can do with it all. I'm no beginner in the world of computing and things but I expect I have A LOT to learn about the do's, do not's and Good Grief Don't Do THAT's of FreeNAS.

Thank you for inviting me in with open arms and I hope one day I can actually contribute something outside of the "Introductions" area :)

droeders

Contributor
Based on (most) of your hardware choices, it looks like you've done some reading and preparation. That approach will serve you well with FreeNAS.

You will find lots of knowledge and helpful members here. Welcome to the forums!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, just jump in anyways. Some reading and searching will serve you well, and there's a lot of people who will happily set you right the rest of the way. Then suddenly you find yourself making helpful observations to the next new user... and eventually you roll over the 1000 post mark.

jblnut

Cadet
Based on (most) of your hardware choices, it looks like you've done some reading and preparation. That approach will serve you well with FreeNAS.

You will find lots of knowledge and helpful members here. Welcome to the forums!
Most things I do incorrectly are not from a lack of research and prep but rather a lack of time to do it how it should be done ..... that and I've been known to be be a bit tight from time to time. The case is a great example. I was looking at a Norco RPC-4224 and suddenly this half priced Rosewill RSV-L4500 shows up in a news feed in Chrome and it comes with a FREE RSV-L4000C !!!!! I thought WOW how could this get better ?!?!?! Dumb. Don't think, just buy the right one the first time.

At least it is SUPER inconvenient to get anything done inside of it and the Hard Drive bays look as if they will rattle like a tin can when they all spin up. So there's that I guess. Here is how it sits now. I've had the drives in and out a few times and can't decide if I should take the plunge and get a nice set of 4TB WD Reds or muddle along with what I have.
47565432162_9016c72678_z.jpg

Yeah, just jump in anyways. Some reading and searching will serve you well, and there's a lot of people who will happily set you right the rest of the way. Then suddenly you find yourself making helpful observations to the next new user... and eventually you roll over the 1000 post mark.
I need to learn more about everything FreeNAS and have been doing a fair bit of reading but I find I learn best by running into a wall and figuring out how to build a ladder to climb over before calling in reinforcements. One can only read so much before finding an overwhelming urge to dive in head first and see what happens. It's not a failure if you try and do not succeed, it's a learning experience.

jblnut

Cadet
I guess I should post up what I have for hardware so far.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSH-F-O
Crucial CT16G4RFD4213 16GB
Intel Xeon E3-1225 V6
Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX
120GB SanDisk Z410 OS Drive
Rosewill RSV-L4500 Case
2x 2TB WD Greens Circa 2009
2x 1TB WD Greens Circa 2014
8TB HGST refurb
Pair of 4TB Seagate SkyHawks
3x mixmatched 3TB drives

I've read a bit about the different types of vdevs and how you can create pools and such but have a lot more learning to go. I have 2x 4TB Toshiba MD04ACA4's, 2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA3's and a 3TB Seagate ST3000VX006-1HH in an aging Drobo5n right now as well. I've more than spent my allowance for the month on hardware but I think once "she who holds the checkbook" lets me back at it I'm going to start the hunt for a few WD Reds. The problem (addiction?) is that to do what I want I think I need 5-6 matching? 4TB drives.

I currently use SyncToy to semi-automate a manually initiated backup of media files to the HDD's listed that are not in the Drobo. It would be out of this world to have FreeNAS running on a server and be able to back itself up on the fly. Wowser that would be amazing. Recently my Drobo lost a disk and I literally didn't stop watching it until it was done rebuilding. I've heard enough horror stories about Drobos to scare R.L. Stein. I jumped on the Drobo bandwagon before anyone knew what they were and although it's been a good ride so far it's starting to get a bit spooky.