SOLVED Jails can't connect to internet

alieg

Dabbler
I've installed Adguard Home on my Openwrt router. I've got it as the DNS server on port 53, everything on my network can connect except that my plugins can't access the internet.

I've worked out I can get it to work if, for each jail I edit etc/resolvconf and change it from the ipv6 address of my router:

nameserver fd10:d95f:ae6d::1

to

nameserver 192.168.1.1

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 20.04.40.png

The problem is that this won't stick. What can I do to have the jails just work with my DNS?

adrianwi

Guru
Is the DNS you want to use set at the TrueNAS level, in the Network > Global Configuration settings?

alieg

Dabbler
Is the DNS you want to use set at the TrueNAS level, in the Network > Global Configuration settings?

Yes, thankfully I've been able to solve it (I hope)

I had the router's IP 192.168.1.1 as all 3 nameservers in Global Config so couldn't understand where the IPv6 address had come from.
At some point today after I'd edited each jails resolv.conf nameservers to 192.168.1.1 it decided to change them to the IPv6 equivalent and they stopped working.

With this I had a bit of an epiphany and added the router's IPv6 address to the bind servers in the Adguard Home config and suddenly I was able to ping from the jails again.