jail sendmail cannot chdir

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbec67

Dabbler
Hi, since i upgraded to 9.2.0 RC2 i get eeror Messages:
plexmediaserver_1 sendmail[1234]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(operator): caanot chdir(/var/spool/clientmqueue/) permission denied

i have read, that in a jail there is no sendmail...
i checked in the jail /etc.rc.conf....i see....
sendmail_enable="NO"

but still getting the error :(

any other Idea ?

goerz

Dabbler
I get the same error with my jail, one about every 10 minutes. I also don't get email notifications from my Freenas box, but I have no idea whether the two issues could be related.

goerz

sbec67

Dabbler
I did get E-Mails ...
since 9.2 it only send's Mail when there is a Error.. so i tried a Test Mail and i got this OK.

but what i also seen is, that you can't change the root account's mail anymore in the WUI (Web User Interface :rolleyes:), even if it say's you should do this, when activating mail
Regards

trevorb

Dabbler
Ditto, but ONLY on a jail created after upgrading to 2-RELEASE (OwnCloud).
My existing jail containing sabNZBD, couchPotato and SickBeard was OK as was my Transmission one.

Dusan

Guru
I think you are seeing the error messages every 11 minutes as cron runs /usr/libexec/save-entropy every 11 minutes and tries to email you the result. It seems the 9.2.0 plugin template is bit broken.You can fix it by running this in the jail:
[PANEL]chown smmsp /var/spool/clientmqueue
chgrp smmsp /var/spool/clientmqueue
chgrp smmsp /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
chmod +s /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail[/PANEL]

D

dlavigne

but what i also seen is, that you can't change the root account's mail anymore in the WUI (Web User Interface :rolleyes:), even if it say's you should do this, when activating mail

What do you mean by this? You can still change the root account's email if you click the root entry in Users.

trevorb

Dabbler
I think you are seeing the error messages every 11 minutes as cron runs /usr/libexec/save-entropy every 11 minutes and tries to email you the result. It seems the 9.2.0 plugin template is bit broken.You can fix it by running this in the jail:
[PANEL]chown smmsp /var/spool/clientmqueue
chgrp smmsp /var/spool/clientmqueue
chgrp smmsp /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail
chmod +s /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail[/PANEL]

Thanks, these remove the sendmail errors, but obviously doesn't fix the entropy issue that you have highlighted.....
I ran the following to remove that issue:
[PANEL]chown operator /var/db/entropy/
chgrp operator /var/db/entropy/
chgrp operator /usr/libexec/save-entropy
chmod +s /usr/libexec/save-entropy[/PANEL]

I'm not sure what the long term fix is, but I assume a bug should be raised for this as well.

Dusan

Guru
Thanks, these remove the sendmail errors, but obviously doesn't fix the entropy issue that you have highlighted.....
I ran the following to remove that issue:
[PANEL]chown operator /var/db/entropy/
chgrp operator /var/db/entropy/
chgrp operator /usr/libexec/save-entropy
chmod +s /usr/libexec/save-entropy[/PANEL]

I'm not sure what the long term fix is, but I assume a bug should be raised for this as well.
I'll look into that. Meanwhile I think you only need to change /var/db/entropy to operator : operator. save-entropy shouldn't need the setuid/setgid flag (+s) and can stay root:wheel as cron will run it as operator.

trevorb

Dabbler
Meanwhile I think you only need to change /var/db/entropy to operator : operator. save-entropy shouldn't need the setuid/setgid flag (+s) and can stay root:wheel as cron will run it as operator.

I took the +s flag off and reset group on /usr/libexec/save-entropy back to wheel, and all appears to be working OK.
Thanks

trevorb

Dabbler

bobl2424

Cadet
I just installed 9.2.0-RELEASE and enabled the owncloud and plexmediaserver plugins. I am seeing the exact same error messages as mentioned in this thread. So I tried to change the permissions as described, but there is no "/var/spool/clientmqueue" folder in either jail. The folder in the jail is called "/var/spool/mqueue" even though the error messages say clientmqueue. Do I just set the permissions described in this thread to /var/spool/mqueue?

Dusan

Guru
I just installed 9.2.0-RELEASE and enabled the owncloud and plexmediaserver plugins. I am seeing the exact same error messages as mentioned in this thread. So I tried to change the permissions as described, but there is no "/var/spool/clientmqueue" folder in either jail. The folder in the jail is called "/var/spool/mqueue" even though the error messages say clientmqueue. Do I just set the permissions described in this thread to /var/spool/mqueue?
I tried to install those two plugins and in both cases there are both the /var/spool/clientmqueue and /var/spool/mqueue directories. Are you sure you see only the seconds one?

bobl2424

Cadet
I tried to install those two plugins and in both cases there are both the /var/spool/clientmqueue and /var/spool/mqueue directories. Are you sure you see only the seconds one?

I'm at work now, will check when I get home tonight but when I ran "chmod smmsp /var/spool/clientmqueue" within the owncloud jail the response was "clientmqueue no such file or directory".

bobl2424

Cadet
Strange ... Coming from the Linux world I'm confused. This shows the clientmqueue folder:
ls /mnt/share/jails/owncloud_1/var/spool/

This does not:
cd /mnt/share/jails/owncloud_1/
ls /var/spool/

Why when you cd to the directory there is no folder?

Anyway, I was able to run the commands using the full path and I don't see any more error messages. Thanks.

Dusan

Guru
Why when you cd to the directory there is no folder?
Here's your mistake. You ran:
ls /var/spool
you were supposed to run:
ls var/spool
Notice the difference -- the slash at the beginning of the path. The first command lists the content of the host spool directory (it ignores the current directory). The second will list the content of the jail spool directory (provided that you did cd into the jail root directory before).

everdead

Cadet
Sorry to be dense but this is my first non windows computer. How do I remove the save-entropy from crontab? I don't have any jobs listed on my "view cron jobs" section so I assume its some shell commands and I am having a hard time getting a useful result search.

Status
Not open for further replies.