Jail location

dwchan69

Contributor
In general, it seems all TrueNAS plugins are installed as jail onto a pool versus the TrueNAS root drive.
1. Can this behavior be changed so the plugins can install on the TrueNAS root drive?
2. When you have multiple Pools, how do I direct which Pool the plugins / jail get installed to?

1. Can this behavior be changed so the plugins can install on the TrueNAS root drive?
You mean "boot" drive? No. TrueNAS uses dedicated boot drive(s) for the operating system, and optionally swap, System Dataset, and logs.

Nothing else. No L2ARC. No SLOG. No jails. No VMs. No special vdevs.

2. When you have multiple Pools, how do I direct which Pool the plugins / jail get installed to?
Jails -> cogwheel icon (upper-right) -> select pool

dwchan69

Contributor
Thank you , so you change and select which pool for each plugin during installation for a multiple pools environment, I presume?

so you change and select which pool for each plugin during installation for a multiple pools environment, I presume?
The setting is per TrueNAS system, and it affects all jails and plugins. The iocage dataset (and everything within) can only exist on a single pool.

Davvo

MVP
You can partition the boot drive to simulate multiple devices and, as such, have your iocage dataset on the boot drive; it is however discouraged and it requires manual steps on another OS.

You can partition the boot drive

*ring ring*

"9-1-1. What is your emergency?"

"Yeah, so, there's this dangerous person on the FreeNAS forums..."

dwchan69

Contributor
Just to be clear, right now, I installed "Plex" on Pool_1, and set up a separate mount point outside the iocage for the media, while it is still on the same pool - Pool_1

1. If I want to install "Graylog" next, must it install on Pool_1 also? Can't have it install on Pool_2 for example
2. But I still can set up a new mount point, say on Pool_2 for Graylog to use/point to

Davvo

MVP
*ring ring*

"9-1-1. What is your emergency?"

"Yeah, so, there's this dangerous person on the FreeNAS forums..."
"There is no FreeNAS forum, your statement is invalid."

*clunk*

1. If I want to install "Graylog" next, must it install on Pool_1 also? Can't have it install on Pool_2 for example
As @winnielinnie wrote, all your jails are installed into the iocage dataset and you can have only one iocage dataset in your system.