ITX vs ATX & RAM qty for cost-effective ECC build

LoftyGoals

Dabbler
I've read through the hardware guides and FAQs and I'm having trouble figuring out motherboards and CPUs are currently available. I get the sense that the primary cost driver is RAM and the most cost effective ECC RAM is DDR3. So if my goal is to build a system running:
  • TrueNAS CORE
  • Borg server in a jail (needs 16 GB RAM, minimal CPU)
  • 20 TB disk (6 x 8 TB RAIDZ2)
and my priorities are:
  • absolutely important
    • reliable (and, therefore, ECC)
  • important
    • runs comfortably
    • runs quiet (will be in a living space)
    • cost effective (not "budget" -- I will pay for a performant system but don't want to pay more than I need to)
  • somewhat important
    • reasonably cool (will be in a well ventilated space)
    • expandable (don't want to max out motherboard)
    • power consumption (I don't want to be wasteful but I care more about total cost of ownership than low electricity bills)
  • unimportant
    • physical size
How much RAM and what motherboard form factor (micro/mini/ITX/ATX) would you suggest I consider? Is DDR3 an option?

Thank you!

-- Salvatore
smile.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
ITX (to an extent mini ATX as well) and expendability are in direct conflict. You have to choose one over the other.

LoftyGoals

Dabbler
ITX (to an extent mini ATX as well) and expendability are in direct conflict. You have to choose one over the other.
Hrm. Then I think I'm asking the wrong question. What I really meant to say was "of all of the classes of motherboards out there, which should I be looking at?"

MrGuvernment

Patron
Hrm. Then I think I'm asking the wrong question. What I really meant to say was "of all of the classes of motherboards out there, which should I be looking at?"
You look at the one which has what you require on it, ATX sized motherboards give you the most options and room for expansion. mITX and such, only have a single PCIe slot (rare exceptions) and 2 Ram slots, so very limited on what you can expand.

Form factor, ITX/mITX/ATX come into play when you are confined by size requirements, or want to build a mini system vs a mid-tower, full tower system.

LoftyGoals

Dabbler
You look at the one which has what you require on it, ATX sized motherboards give you the most options and room for expansion. mITX and such, only have a single PCIe slot (rare exceptions) and 2 Ram slots, so very limited on what you can expand.

Form factor, ITX/mITX/ATX come into play when you are confined by size requirements, or want to build a mini system vs a mid-tower, full tower system.
Excellent! That was the missing piece. I will start looking at ATX boards. Thank you!