Motherboard for Borg build?

LoftyGoals

Dabbler
I'd like to buy a (new, not used) motherboard for a new TrueNAS system (I can afford it and I can't afford headaches right now). Can someone validate my selection of the X11SRL-F? If I was okay with 64 GB RAM, could I get away with the X11SSi-LN4F?

Here's how I got there:
  • start with SuperMicro (based on TrueNAS HW recc & forum guidance)
  • narrow to server boards (TrueNAS HW recc)
  • narrow to ATX (per this thread I don't care about size and ATX is the most flexible)
  • eliminate X12 and H13 (too new) leaving only X11
  • sort by price (X11SSA-F < SSi-LN4F < SRL-F < SPL-F < SPI-TF < SPH-nCTF < DPL-I < SPH-nCTPF)
  • eliminate X11SSA-F (don't need legacy PCI, X11SSi-LN4F is same price)
  • bump from SSi-LN4F to X11SRL-F for $100 and a little breathing room 4->8 memory slots, 6->8 SATA ports, 64GB -> 1TB RAM)
Is that reasoning sound? Thank you!

-- Salvatore
smile.

GOALS
  • TrueNAS CORE
  • Borg server in a jail (needs 16 GB RAM, minimal CPU)
  • 20 TB disk (6 x 8 TB RAIDZ2)
  • SSD boot drive
PRIORITIES
  • absolutely important
    • reliable (and, therefore, ECC)
  • important
    • powerful enough to not be straining against RAM or CPU limits
    • runs quiet (will be in a living space)
    • cost effective (not "budget" -- I will pay for a performant system but don't want to pay more than I need to)
  • somewhat important
    • reasonably cool (will be in a well ventilated space)
    • expandable (don't want to max out motherboard)
    • power consumption (I don't want to be wasteful but I care more about total cost of ownership than low electricity bills)
  • unimportant
    • physical size

NugentS

MVP
Looks good.
IPMI - check
Expansion available for 10Gb & HBA
M.2 - only one, but check
8 SATA Ports, can be expanded with HBA, 2 of these support SATADom with power.

LoftyGoals

Dabbler
Thank you! Any concerns around a single M.2? I'm trying to think of a scenario where I would need multiple M-2 attached SSD drives or some other M.2 peripheral?

NugentS

MVP
Whats your use case?

LoftyGoals

Dabbler
Whats your use case?
GOALS
PRIORITIES
  • absolutely important
    • reliable (and, therefore, ECC)
  • important
    • runs comfortably
    • runs quiet (will be in a living space)
    • cost effective (not "budget" -- I will pay for a performant system but don't want to pay more than I need to)
  • somewhat important
    • reasonably cool (will be in a well ventilated space)
    • expandable (don't want to max out motherboard)
    • power consumption (I don't want to be wasteful but I care more about total cost of ownership than low electricity bills)
  • unimportant
    • physical size

NugentS

MVP
Thats not a use case - its a kit list

LoftyGoals

Dabbler
Thats not a use case - its a kit list
USE CASE
  • 10 TB cold storage, mostly images, videos, and large (~20M) tarballs of projects.
  • 2 TB Time Machine backup from two OSX laptops
  • 1 TB live Borg backups of running OSX laptops and Linux desktops
  • 1 TB database and several million small (~1k) blob files with high latency tolerance
  • 4 small Git repositories with high latency tolerance
  • Borg server running in VM
  • primary access through Borg, Time Machine, scp, and rsync, with some remote login and local file manipulation
  • no low-latency requirements
  • all access from from local network, generally over WiFi except for one-off large transfers or initial backups
  • growth of about 10% per year on all uses

NugentS

MVP
Then I would buy a small Optane / Enterprise grade M.2 and use that as a SLOG drive. Keep all writes to datasets as async EXCEPT for the dataset with the database which I would set to sync writes, In the event of a unexpected power outage the SLOG will prevent db corruption due to un-comitted writes being lost (up to 5 seconds).

I note no 10Gb, but I would size the SLOG for 10Gb anyhow - 20GB will easily cover it. If you get an Optane, then get a proper Optane and not one of the M10 units which are not as good (and definately not an H10 unit). P1600X would be good I think.

I should point out that this is me being paranoid. SYnc writes without a SLOG are very slow. Sync writes with a decent SLOG are OK. Async write are much better but can be subject to dataloss in the event of a power outage. This matters with databases and virtual hard disks.