Issues replacing SAS with Sata in Dell R510

jshurak

Dabbler
I'm running 11.2-U7 on a 12 bay R510. It has 12 2TB sas drives through an H200 flashed with LSI 9210-8i. Two of the SAS drives are failing long smartctl tests, but the pool is running online with no status issues. I've tried to replace one of the drives with two different 3TB sata drives I have on hand. Early into the re-silver process the sata drives report errors and go offline. Once Freenas reported the drive as 'Removed'. Putting the sas drive back in, the re-silver completes successfully. Does any have any experience with this?

artlessknave

Wizard
my first guess would be you have a sas1 expander.
the second guess is your SATA drives are less reliable than the SAS drives that are failing....
3rd guess is there are problems with the backplane or cables and the SAS drives, which handle errors better typically, merely report errors while the SATA drives, which have very little error handling, simply die.

jshurak

Dabbler
Thanks. I don't believe I'm using a sas 1 expander. All the hardware is what came with the R510, except I swapped out the h700 controller for the h200.

I should expand this, because I've also attempted to use 4 different ssds (all brand new) in the internal slots and all four have had errors. These also connect to the backplane. I'm looking through all the drives and they are all have errors corrected by ECC. So its starting to sound more like the cables to the h200 or the backplane. Fun stuff. I have some new cables coming next week.

artlessknave

Wizard
that's unfortunate, expecially if it ends up being the backplane. have to take apart half the front to replace that i think