SOLVED Issue getting jail releases

Reddimension

Cadet
Hi, so i'm new here. Got here because i'm experiencing the same issue. I did however, manage to work around it.

1. I've changed the DNS server in the settings to google DNS: 8888 and 8844. That did help but then got stuck on 50% downloading 11.2 as some other's in this thread had when using VPN.
2. I went ahead on downloading 11.2 and 11.3 via SSH and using a mirror (which is somewhere here in this thread)
3. Getting jail via GUI works now

Hopes this helps. it did for me :)

Mannekino

Patron
I'm currently experiencing the same problem. Connecting from The Netherlands.

joncy92

Explorer
Joncy

You can still download releases and create jails from the FreeNAS command-line by specifying use a FreeBSD mirror. For example

# iocage fetch -s ftp5.fr.FreeBSD.org -d mirrors/ftp.freebsd.org/releases/amd64 -r 11.2-RELEASE

Adrian wrote a great tutorial about using iocage to create a LimeSurvey jail.

Then whenever this network issue is resolved, the jails will appear and may be managed using the GUI.

HTH - Andy

PS. I am following this thread with interest as I am also in London (VirginMedia ISP) and the site is accessible for me today.

Andy - Thanks very much for this. I opted to use the UK ftp server so it would max out the download. I am also using Virgin Internet and it was still not working for me today.

For anyone else having the issue, I used the below commands to fetch versions 11.2 and 11.3 of the jail releases from the UK FTP:

# iocage fetch -s ftp5.uk.FreeBSD.org -d pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64 -r 11.2-RELEASE
# iocage fetch -s ftp5.uk.FreeBSD.org -d pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64 -r 11.3-RELEASE

I was then able to create the jail via the GUI.

Thanks all for the help!!

poldi

Dabbler
Germany here as well. I am also unable to connect although traceroute shows there is a route to download.freebsd.org.
For me the end point is ftp0.bme.freebsd.org (213.138.116.78) while if I VPN to the states the endpoint is ftp0.nyi.freebsd.org (96.47.72.72).
So looks like freebsd.org is using some local mirrors/CDN depending on where we are connecting from. It just happens to be that the 'European' mirror ftp0.bme.freebsd.org is down (telnet test shows nothing running on port 80 or 443).
So this is not a FreeNAS issue and the only workaround at the moment is specifying the local mirror directly as described by Andy C.
However how to report this to FreeBSD because that has been down since at least 3 days (as far as I can tell)?