Issue Creating a Pool

palakmar

Dabbler
I need to apologize from a get-go, I am a total noob to freenas. I have a R510 server that I installed freenas on HDD, I was able to create on pool but when I tried to create another ... no luck. I will need exact instruction as I dont know what I am doing yet ... but I am willing to learn.

Here is what I get:

Error creating pool
Command '('dd', 'if=/dev/zero', 'of=/dev/da1', 'bs=1m', 'count=32')' returned non-zero exit status 1.

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 219, in wrapper
response = callback(request, *args, **kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/api/resources.py", line 1449, in dispatch_list
request, **kwargs

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 450, in dispatch_list
return self.dispatch('list', request, **kwargs)

File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 251, in dispatch
request_type, request, *args, **kwargs

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 482, in dispatch
response = method(request, **kwargs)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 1384, in post_list
updated_bundle = self.obj_create(bundle, **self.remove_api_resource_names(kwargs))

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/tastypie/resources.py", line 2175, in obj_create
return self.save(bundle)

File "./freenasUI/api/utils.py", line 445, in save
form.save()

File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 316, in save
raise e

File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 310, in save
c.call("alert.unblock_source", lock)

File "./freenasUI/storage/forms.py", line 303, in save
notifier().create_volume(volume, groups=grouped, init_rand=init_rand)

File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 760, in create_volume
vdevs = self.__prepare_zfs_vdev(vgrp['disks'], vdev_swapsize, encrypt, volume)

File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 695, in __prepare_zfs_vdev
swapsize=swapsize)

File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 341, in __gpt_labeldisk
c.call('disk.wipe', devname, 'QUICK', job=True)

File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py", line 341, in __gpt_labeldisk
c.call('disk.wipe', devname, 'QUICK', job=True)

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/client/client.py", line 477, in call
raise ClientException(job['error'], trace=job['exception'])

middlewared.client.client.ClientException: Command '('dd', 'if=/dev/zero', 'of=/dev/da1', 'bs=1m', 'count=32')' returned non-zero exit status 1.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You are going to need to provide us some more information in order to assist you. Here is a link the the Forum Rules and it describes the data you need to provide us so we can provide good answers to you. For example we need to know the exact version of FreeNAS you are running and your hardware configuration. Whe need to know the exact steps you went through to create the pool and I'd like to see the output of the following two commands
Code:
zpool status
and
Code:
glabel status
so we can see the configuration of your hard drives. Also list the models of your hard drives. How much RAM do you have? What is drive da1? And the output of
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/da1
should be a good starting point. And have you read the FreeNAS User Guide about creating pools? Just asking in case you are just trying to work the GUI without any guidance. FreeNAS isn't always intuitive but it's getting better.

palakmar

Dabbler
You are going to need to provide us some more information in order to assist you. Here is a link the the Forum Rules and it describes the data you need to provide us so we can provide good answers to you. For example we need to know the exact version of FreeNAS you are running and your hardware configuration. Whe need to know the exact steps you went through to create the pool and I'd like to see the output of the following two commands
Code:
zpool status
and
Code:
glabel status
so we can see the configuration of your hard drives. Also list the models of your hard drives. How much RAM do you have? What is drive da1? And the output of
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/da1
should be a good starting point. And have you read the FreeNAS User Guide about creating pools? Just asking in case you are just trying to work the GUI without any guidance. FreeNAS isn't always intuitive but it's getting better.

Thank you, I am still new to this forum. I captured screenshots.. hopefully, that will work. Please see attached files

Attachments

• chrome_6dQa6Y2BbL.png
    chrome_6dQa6Y2BbL.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 277
  • chrome_LCWML8M8dN.png
    chrome_LCWML8M8dN.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 261
  • chrome_OHDVG1BBHP.png
    chrome_OHDVG1BBHP.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 296
  • chrome_XnGHy3JHwI.png
    chrome_XnGHy3JHwI.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 259
  • Lo2U1Fcix9.png
    Lo2U1Fcix9.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 295

palakmar

Dabbler
Also I already tried to use diskpart >> clean and also

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=1m count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo da1 | awk '{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

gpsguy

It looks like the only pool you have, is the boot pool (where FreeNAS is installed).

I'd like to take a step back and ask for detailed hardware information, regarding your R510. Does it have a hardware RAID controller? If so, and you are using it, that'll be a problem. One needs an ordinary HBA. There are some Dell boards that can be flashed to IT mode.

I have a R510 server that I installed freenas on HDD

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd like to take a step back and ask for detailed hardware information, regarding your R510.
Please provide what is asked. List all your hardware, and the connectivity of your hard drives. Do not assume we know your setup as it's a sure fire way to a slow answer.

palakmar

Dabbler
Dell R510
32GB RAM
Internal USB Drive with Freenas
4 x Seagate Constellation - ST33000650SS
8 x Seagate Constellation - ST2000NM001

joeschmuck

Old Man
What version of FreeNAS are you running? Are you running FreeNAS on top of ESXi or similar?
It doesn't appear that your hard drives are being passed through. Verify your controllers are actually flashed into IT mode.

Something you can try is to boot up an Ubuntu Live CD and see if you can access the hard drives. This will help identify if it's FreeNAS or a hardware issue.

palakmar

Dabbler
This is what I get. It is weird.

Attachments

• jp2launcher_UOgMFYqjCZ.png
    jp2launcher_UOgMFYqjCZ.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 281
  • jp2launcher_4T7ScGy1MZ.png
    jp2launcher_4T7ScGy1MZ.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Were these drives used/formatted in a different machine/OS? Maybe used with a hardware RAID controller?

Try to format one of the hard drives drives to see what happens, select one that says No Media. If the media shows up then format the rest of them. Next reboot into FreeNAS and cross your fingers that the drives show up.

That is the best guess I have right now.