iSCSI drive disapeared on ESXi hosts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find what is the reason my freenas box stopped providing iSCSI to my ESXi hosts. It was working fine then out of nowhere all my ESXi hosts became unresponsive. I restarted the hosts and then the only storage node that they could not see anymore was the freenas box. All other boxes running NFS or iSCSI with other software on top are working fine. It seems first freenas for some reason triggered a problem with ESXi 6 hosts, I had 4 of them sort of crawling/freezing. It happened a few months ago but after a restart it came all back to normal.

Today it happened agian, but freenas is not showing the iSCSI target to teh ESXi hosts anymore.

One of the drives used for the storage o freenas seems to be playing up, but I'm using RAID-10 and even it the drive had failed completely the array should still be available:

• WARNING: May 5, 2018, 2:26 p.m. - NFS services could not bind specific IPs, using wildcard
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 2:26 p.m. - Device: /dev/da13, SMART Failure: DATA CHANNEL IMPENDING FAILURE DATA ERROR RATE TOO HIGH
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 3:26 p.m. - Device: /dev/da13, failed to read SMART values
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 3:56 p.m. - Device: /dev/da13, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 2:26 p.m. - The volume iscsi state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
these are the errors I've got at the moment. This should not be the reason I can't mound the iSCSI storage back, but I can't.

Have you guys got any directions that I could use please?

mephisto

Dabbler
actually I've just found out the iSCSI service is not starting up, trying to find why at the moment

Stux

MVP
Swap in use and not mirrored?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
  • WARNING: May 5, 2018, 2:26 p.m. - NFS services could not bind specific IPs, using wildcard
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 2:26 p.m. - Device: /dev/da13, SMART Failure: DATA CHANNEL IMPENDING FAILURE DATA ERROR RATE TOO HIGH
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 3:26 p.m. - Device: /dev/da13, failed to read SMART values
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 3:56 p.m. - Device: /dev/da13, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed
  • CRITICAL: May 5, 2018, 2:26 p.m. - The volume iscsi state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
That's either a bad cable or a seriously sick disk that needs to be replaced.

kdragon75

Wizard
Try restarting the service and monitoring /ver/log/messages for anything to do with ctld.

Status
Not open for further replies.