IPv6 Privacy Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

s53zo

Cadet
Hello!

Does FreeNAS (build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506042008) support IPv6 Privacy Extensions?

sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr=1
sysctl net.ipv6.conf.default.use_tempaddr=1

like described in
http://ipv6int.net/systems/freebsd-ipv6.html
http://superuser.com/questions/243669/how-to-avoid-exposing-my-mac-address-when-using-ipv6

I want to enable them under System > Tunables and also in jails under Advanced sysclts options.

Everything gets one IPv6 address from stateless autoconfiguration but I would like to use another one for outgoing connection due to privacy reasons.

Regards,
Simon

D

dlavigne

To test a sysctl, you can (and should) try running it from the command line first. Once you are sure it does what you want and does not negatively impact the running of the system, make it permanent by adding it as a Tunable.

s53zo

Cadet
I managed to enable IPv6 Privacy Extension with System > Tunables for FreeNAS base system. Working is it should.

Under jails I am unable to do it. With command line in jail there is no effect. If I put it under sysctls options in jail settings, jail fails to start and is not shown in jls list.

Any idea?

D

dlavigne

Does setting the sysctl from the host using the syntax "jail -m jid=# name.of.sysctl" work? Use jls to get the correct # of the jail.

s53zo

Cadet
No luck.

simon@freenas:~ % jail -m jid=6 command="sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr=1"

simon@freenas:~ % jail -m jid=6 net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr=1
jail: unknown parameter: net.ipv6.conf.all.use_tempaddr

simon@freenas:~ % jail -m jid=6 net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1
jail: unknown parameter: net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr

simon@freenas:~ % jail -m jid=6 command="sysctl net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr=1"

Then from inside jail:

root@jail:/ # sysctl -d -a | grep inet6.ip6

net.inet6.ip6.use_tempaddr:

net.inet6.ip6.temppltime:

net.inet6.ip6.tempvltime:

net.inet6.ip6.prefer_tempaddr:

D

dlavigne

This may be because IPv6 support in 9.3 jails is incomplete. Or possibly because those sysctls are not available in FreeBSD 9.3. Do you know offhand when this feature was added to FreeBSD?

s53zo

Cadet
No idea, sorry. I just thought it would be nice to appear with random IP to outside world.

Status
Not open for further replies.