SOLVED IP Address conflicts on DHCP Network, any chance FreeNAS is responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim1962

Patron
Hi, I expect a collective "dunno" but wanted to just check...

I have a Smoothwall firewall serving DHCP duties across wired and then wireless networks
In the last month or so I've been getting a lot of IP conflicts with devices being mis allocated IP Addresses despite having a fixed IP address from Smoothwall.

FreeNAS has pretty bog standard settings network wise, getting its own IP via the Smoothwall, and each jail/VM of which there are just three also getting IPs via DHCP.

Given FN and Jails are all DHCP'ed is it likely that something in FN would be creating conflicting IP Addresses?

I admit its a bit of a vague question but just throwing it out there in case someone recognises it and a fix, but assume it will be "go fix your smoothie"

Cheers

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your firewall logs would be the best place to start. Find out which IP is showing a conflict and check your jails/VM's and see if they are conflicting.

Yep, check the logs. I will note that if the FreeNAS has IPMI it may have a static IP address set that is causing the conflict. You may also have an issue where the router is changing leases at a fast rate and a device on the network isn't attempting to get a new one when the router thinks it should.

Once FreeNAS gets an IP address it kinda wants to stick to it so make sure that if you are using DHCP with it to set reservations so it always gets the same IP address. The same goes for the jails.

Tim1962

Patron
Thanks both,
Not sure if you know smoothwall but I have

DHCP 192.168.0.200-250
With static assignments all below 192.168.0.200 (including FreeNAS)
From the logs it appears Smoothwall is trying to issue dynamic IPs to those which are set (via MAC Addresses) with static IPs, til eventually it gets it right.

Clearly this is getting (or staying!) OT, but one final Q if I may

Given this is a home set up with about 20 devices that mostly stay same all the time, I've put all I can onto static assignments. Is there any reason not to put really a long lease on (currently 120/240) (and if so is there a real or practical Max?)

Cheers
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If they have static IP's they shouldn't have a lease.

Tim1962

Patron
I sort of knew that but the IPs were being allocated in the leased range...

However I've reset the wireless AP and so far that seems to have suppressed, or fixed, the issue. If so, never was a FreeNAS problem but thanks for the sounding board :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.