FreeNAS was receiving IP via DHCP, not any more. ifconfig pics inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite2366

Dabbler
Sorry, in post #3 in the thread you seemed to not know which port was which,
so I was trying to help identify them for you.

Look in your router's list of IP addresses, or find it in the FreeNAS console window.

You might reboot your router as well...

Gotcha. Thanks for making the effort to double check.

I can see the lease and it does have an ip address assigned under DHCP leases, but it lists it as "offline"

Using the command
Code:
service dhclient restart igb0
requests on 255.255.255.255 subnet mask but eventual "No DHCPOFFERS received." Would this be an issue since the switch is using a 255.255.255.196 subnet mask?
Then is says "Trying recorded lease 192.168.127.147 .... bound: renewal in 402 seconds."

but attempting to access the web gui with the 192.168.127.147 ip just hangs.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The jails still aren't receiving ip addresses.
Go to the jails configuration tab and make sure the DHCP checkbox is checked. You may have to check the nameserver for each jail and make sure it matches your default gateway. It's located at /etc/resolv.conf

rwhite2366

Dabbler
Sorry, in post #3 in the thread you seemed to not know which port was which,
so I was trying to help identify them for you.

Look in your router's list of IP addresses, or find it in the FreeNAS console window.

You might reboot your router as well...

Okay, if this isn't confusing enough....

I deleted the network interface configuration and set it for DHCP, then I restarted the server and my switch. When everything was back up, the server said that there were no interfaces configured. I set the default gateway and I was still not able to access the web gui. I go to the network switch and see there is an ip address assigned, so I configure the ipv4 for the same address with the correct subnet mask and I am able to gain access to the web gui AND the jails all have ip addresses. I feel like this is unstable because I'm statically assigning the ip address when it should be configured under DHCP, like all of the jails seem to be doing now. I've attached my settings.

Thanks for all your help so far, and for sticking with me through this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 4.38.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 4.38.53 PM.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 445
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 4.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 4.38.47 PM.png
    421.9 KB · Views: 461

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I feel like this is unstable
Why would you feel assigning an IP to a device on your network is unstable? Your best bet would be to give up this notion that your FreeNAS box HAS to have it's IP address assigned via DHCP. Set a static IP address for the web gui outside your routers DHCP range and be done with all the hoop jumping you've been going through.

You're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Please let's use proper terminology, your pfSense netgate sg-2440 is a router, this
hands out the IP addresses on your network. I need to know what IP address you use to access the pfSense box's GUI? What ever THAT address is, is considered your Default Gateway and that IP address should be entered in your server's Global Configuration and then saved. Do that now please.

rwhite2366

Dabbler
Why would you feel assigning an IP to a device on your network is unstable? Your best bet would be to give up this notion that your FreeNAS box HAS to have it's IP address assigned via DHCP. Set a static IP address for the web gui outside your routers DHCP range and be done with all the hoop jumping you've been going through.

You're making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

I feel it's unstable because the netgate sg-2440 is assigning ip addresses via DHCP, and I had to look at the IP address assigned to it, and then I manually enter this IP address into FreeNAS. If I restarted the netgate the IP address could be changed and I'd have to go in and manually enter it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwhite2366

Dabbler
Please let's use proper terminology, your pfSense netgate sg-2440 is a router, this
hands out the IP addresses on your network. I need to know what IP address you use to access the pfSense box's GUI? What ever THAT address is, is considered your Default Gateway and that IP address should be entered in your server's Global Configuration and then saved. Do that now please.

Oh, I was using the ip address on the interface that connected directly to the freenas server. Let me try the pfsense gui ip.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That's why you map a static IP address to your FreeNAS outside your DHCP range.

rwhite2366

Dabbler
That's why you map a static IP address to your FreeNAS outside your DHCP range.
I understand, and thank you for the recommendation. I was just commenting on the instability of how it was set up at the moment.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
This is an example for a simple home network.
Your pfSense router has a range of available IP addresses it can hand out,
my router has a static IP of 192.168.1.1 (see the screenshot below).
1Capture.JPG
My router is enabled as a DHCP server on my LAN, it's configured to give out
a range of IP addresses on my LAN starting at 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.199
The 99 addresses available for my home LAN is overkill as I will never use that many.
2Capture.JPG
My servers and their ipmi consoles all have static IP addresses that are set up
in the same subnet of 192.168.1.0
BUT the static IPs fall outside the range of 100 to 199.

You can set up a static IP within a FreeNAS server as 192.168.1.20 and pfSense will
give that machine NIC (and that machine NIC only) that IP address because that IP address
is "outside" your configured IP range of 100 thru 199.

Remember to ALWAYS save a copy of a machines configuration file, this goes for
servers, routers and switches. I save BEFORE making changes, and then again AFTER
the change or changes have been successfully implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.