Fresh install of 9.3 on HP E9180t gets IP from DHCP but no connectivity in or out

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcconnell

Cadet
My fresh install of FreeNAS 9.3 on an HP E9180t has no connectivity, despite receiving an IP address from the DHCP server. I've also tested a static IP with no success.

I'm new to FreeNAS and BSD but I'm comfortable in Linux/OSX command line environments.

The machine can't ping anything else on the network and nothing else on the network can ping the machine. I can't even ping the machine from the gateway/DHCP server (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite).

I'm using a RaLink NIC card because for some reason the NIC on the motherboard is not working.

I would sincerely appreciate some help diagnosing and getting this connected. I've been excited to get this machine working and have been left a little frustrated.

Here are some pictures of the ifconfig and netstat -rn commands: http://imgur.com/a/p0ET6

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
In the Network->Global Configuration section, try setting your IPv4 gateway (to your router IP or whatever). The symptoms you describe could occur because there is no gateway for egress.

jcconnell

Cadet
I can't access the GUI. I can't ping the machine from any other machine on the network regardless of the subnet. I also can't ping from the machine to any other machine.

My only access is from the local console. From there I've tried configuring a static route, setting the default route to the gateway, setting the DNS to the gateway. Nothing I've done has offered any progress. I wonder if it may be related to my NIC though I'm not sure how to confirm that.

Someone on the FreeNAS subreddit noticed that the media type is not selected in ifconfig.

m0nkey_

MVP
Netstat seems to suggest your network is a /16, is that correct? Also, I'm not sure why you have 0/8 as a route. Sounds to me your DHCP isn't issuing addresses as it should be.

Here's what a working 'netstat -rn' looks like:
Code:
[root@tardis] ~# netstat -rn
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            192.168.32.1       UGS         0   249513  lagg0
127.0.0.1          link#6             UH          0  1174773    lo0
192.168.32.0/24    link#7             U           0 118859170  lagg0
192.168.32.5       link#7             UHS         0       41    lo0

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I'm not sure why you have 0/8 as a route.
Good pickup, that's weird. What would that even mean, really, in any practical sense...

jcconnell

Cadet
I believe most of the problems I'm experiencing are related to the Realtek ethernet card. I've ordered an Intel replacement to test my theory but it's frustrating because the same ethernet card has worked on many other operating systems.

A little more background on my network. I'm using an EdgeRouter Lite with two subnets: 192.168.1.0 for LAN traffic and 192.168.2.0 for WLAN traffic. There are no firewalls or other restrictions between the two. Each subnet has it's own DHCP server and I'm fairly certain they are configured properly- no other devices are experiencing problems and the same machine worked well with a debian based distribution.

The card arrives tomorrow. I'll report back, hopefully with some good results. I'd like to find out why the Realtek card isn't working though.

Status
Not open for further replies.