Internal DHCP/NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orbsa

Cadet
First and foremost, I apologize for what is probably going to seem like a dumb question. I am new to FreeNAS after hosting my own Ubuntu server for some time now.
Currently. Whenever I make a new Jail, it is grabbing a DHCP IP from my router. Now that's great and all being on a /24 subnet internally, however, I will be racking my server in a datacenter and will only be getting a /29 public subnet to work with. 5 IP's won't do me much good with how I am currently running when I intend on having 8+ Jails running.
How do I go about setting up a local network for all my different jails to all route under the same IP. I'm unsure if a VNET or a VLAN is something I would want. And if there is a way to setup an internal NAT, wouldn't I also need to setup port forwarding from the WAN to the internal NAT of the FreeNAS server. I was thinking another option would be routing most of my jails through a local ip of 127.0.0.x with a gateway of 127.0.0.1 and having my Web Server Jail on a public IP where I can reverse proxy the ports I need with NGINX, but somehow, I don't think that is the right solution.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm not sure what the correct way to do this is. I do not believe that FreeBSD has any kind of virtual routing capability. The first thing that comes to mind is cloning the loopback adapter, and attaching the jails to that. (https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/62182/) You could probably have a jail that provides DHCP. However, I'm not sure that you'd want to use this setup, because your goal should be to prevent direct access to the FreeNAS server in the first place. Instead, you want something like VPN to mediate that access.

I would recommend asking on the FreeBSD forums. They will be the experts about jails, and they can probably provide suggestions for a better, and safe, configuration setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.