Intel Server Board S1200BTS + i3-3220

indyslim

Cadet
Hello - A newbie here. I am hoping for some help with troubleshooting my FreeNAS install -

I just received a hand me down server with the details at the bottom -
I was able to install FreeNAS on a 250G SATA HDD. The system booted fine and I was able to access it over the network.
Storage lists all the HDDs in the system - the boot drive and two other 1T SATA HDDs
However, when I tried to create a new pool the only option available to me is the boot disk. The two other 1T disk do not show up.
I spent some time on the forums and it looks like it might be something to do with the SATA controller. I tried connecting the disks in AHCI mode but it did not change the outcome.
Questions:
1. Does anyone have a successful build with this server board?
2. Could the small amount of RAM be an issue? Should I order bigger RAM sticks, or switch out to a Xeon CPU?
3. Any other pointers to dealing with SATA controllers?

thank you

System Details -
  • Mother board - Intel Server Board S1200BTS
  • CPU - i3-3220
  • RAM - 2GB(1 + 1) ECC
  • WD Hard drive running Ubuntu v 12.04
  • Dual NIC

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hello - A newbie here. I am hoping for some help with troubleshooting my FreeNAS install -

I just received a hand me down server with the details at the bottom -
I was able to install FreeNAS on a 250G SATA HDD. The system booted fine and I was able to access it over the network.
Storage lists all the HDDs in the system - the boot drive and two other 1T SATA HDDs
However, when I tried to create a new pool the only option available to me is the boot disk. The two other 1T disk do not show up.
I spent some time on the forums and it looks like it might be something to do with the SATA controller. I tried connecting the disks in AHCI mode but it did not change the outcome.
Questions:
1. Does anyone have a successful build with this server board?
2. Could the small amount of RAM be an issue? Should I order bigger RAM sticks, or switch out to a Xeon CPU?
3. Any other pointers to dealing with SATA controllers?

thank you

System Details -
  • Mother board - Intel Server Board S1200BTS
  • CPU - i3-3220
  • RAM - 2GB(1 + 1) ECC
  • WD Hard drive running Ubuntu v 12.04
  • Dual NIC
Yes, lack of RAM is your biggest problem. Not sure why your HDDs aren't showing up, but that's a problem, too, of course.

I run 3 FreeNAS servers on this same motherboard at work; all have 32GB of RAM and an LSI HBA. I only use the motherboard SATA ports for booting.

So your motherboard is known to successfully run FreeNAS, but with much more memory and using a HBA instead of the mobo SATA ports.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I suspect that your two 1T HDD's don't show up because they aren't recognized as "empty" by FreeNAS - you did mention the system was secondhand, so perhaps a previous partition table is on them and the FreeNAS middleware is saying "I'm not going to blindly erase those disks; that's on you."

Definitely get more RAM in there ASAP though.

indyslim

Cadet
Thank you - It is nuggets like this that I miss while searching the forums. I'll retry with more RAM and fully erased disks.

indyslim

Cadet
Yes, lack of RAM is your biggest problem. Not sure why your HDDs aren't showing up, but that's a problem, too, of course.

I run 3 FreeNAS servers on this same motherboard at work; all have 32GB of RAM and an LSI HBA. I only use the motherboard SATA ports for booting.

So your motherboard is known to successfully run FreeNAS, but with much more memory and using a HBA instead of the mobo SATA ports.
Thank you, this is a relief. Can you please let me know the specific LSI card that is working well for you? (9211-8i?)

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thank you, this is a relief. Can you please let me know the specific LSI card that is working well for you? (9211-8i?)
Yes, we're using one of the LSI 92xx series, a 9201-16i, I believe. The model with 4 ports suitable for connecting to a 16-drive backplane. Any of the standard LSI 92xx cards will work; which one to use just depends on your needs.

indyslim

Cadet
Yes, we're using one of the LSI 92xx series, a 9201-16i, I believe. The model with 4 ports suitable for connecting to a 16-drive backplane. Any of the standard LSI 92xx cards will work; which one to use just depends on your needs.
Thank you, that is very helpful.

indyslim

Cadet
I suspect that your two 1T HDD's don't show up because they aren't recognized as "empty" by FreeNAS - you did mention the system was secondhand, so perhaps a previous partition table is on them and the FreeNAS middleware is saying "I'm not going to blindly erase those disks; that's on you."

Definitely get more RAM in there ASAP though.
Reporting back - Full wipe down of the disks, making sure boot drive is on SATA0 and reinstall seems to have fixed everything. Now, i feel safe ordering more RAM to make this NAS more functional.
Thank you for your pointers.