Intel Pro 1000PT good for FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hi

To get around the problems with my onboard nics i want to buy a PCIe networking card with 2 NICs.
Is the Intel Pro 1000 PT good for FreeNAS or are there any known issues (TSO, RX/TX Checksum...)?

Best,
Thomas

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Even the PCI ones would work well, but the PCI bus is one of those things I'm glad is obsolete.

maglin

Patron
It's gone the way of the ISA bus. Been so long I can't remember if I'm calling it right.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's gone the way of the ISA bus. Been so long I can't remember if I'm calling it right.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Yup. Almost gone, though some boards still have regular PCI.

PCI was around just at the time when computer stuff was getting good enough not to need regular updates. Expensive lab equipment, industrial machinery... That kind of stuff sometimes needs proprietary PCI cards (or sometime sjust plain ol' RS-232, but that's still widespread). And is crazy expensive to replace.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Thomymaster,

I'm using quad-port 1000 PT's in both my filers & they both work without issue.

My only advice would be to see what you can get the Dell-branded Pro 1000-VT for. It uses a newer chipset that's supported in ESXi 6.0 so a couple of bucks might get you some future-proofing .

-Will

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It was the ISA (Industry Standard Architecture, and came in 8-bit, 16-bit and for a few systems, 32-bit). You also had IBM's Micro-Channel architecture, VESA-LB (VESA local bus), and something else I forget which.

Last edited:

JDCynical

Contributor
It was the ISA (Industry Standard Architecture, and came in 8-bit, 16-bit and for a few systems, 32-bit). You also had IBM's Micro-Channel architecture, VESA-LB (VESA local bus), and something else I forget which.
EISA? That was 32-bit and considered the answer to IBM's proprietary MCA. If you recall, it had that funky looking double row connector.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
EISA? That was 32-bit and considered the answer to IBM's proprietary MCA. If you recall, it had that funky looking double row connector.

Yep. I have one of those boards somewhere. :P I keep it around because it looks so weird by today's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.