Intel pro/1000 card types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulises

Dabbler
Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me if you had to pick, which one would it be?

1-Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Gigabit PCI-E
2-Intel Pro/1000 GT Dual Gigabit PCI-X (i currently have this)

(Computer=x3400 with both pci-x and pci-e slots)

Pierce

Explorer
if I was buying new, I'd probably get PCI-E so it would work in newer systems. OTOH, if I was buying /specifically/ for a system that had PCI-X and PCI-E, I might get PCI-X to leave the PCI-E slot free for additional newer hardware...

joeschmuck

Old Man
To be honest, it will depend on what you might do in the future. PCI-E is a newer standard then PCI-X. If your motherboard supports PCI-E, I would purchase that but only if I have an available slot for it, and I'd purchase it from an obsolescence point of view because I may be able to use that NIC in a future project. Many older motherboards may have a single PCI-E slot which is intended for a video card so you really do not want to use that slot unless you also have built in video.

Ulises

Dabbler
Well the cards are only around $20 used, so the cost is minimal.
So besides the pcix vs pcie subject, would you say the cards "have the same features" ?

joeschmuck

Old Man
You can check out the specs on each card on the Intel website, but they are both virtually identical, just a different interface.

EDIT: And yes, I own two of the PCI-E cards, love them! One is on my Sophos box, the other floats around in different computers like my pfsense test box.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well the cards are only around $20 used, so the cost is minimal.
So besides the pcix vs pcie subject, would you say the cards "have the same features" ?

PCI-X is basically PCI on steroids; PCI being a 1990's era interconnection technology.

PCIe is a 2000's era interconnection technology that is still current.

The PCI-X cards are using older chipsets with older featuresets. Just like Win10 can and will run on a 2005 era PC, the PCI-X stuff still works pretty well, but the PCIe stuff is like that modern PC .. more power efficient, more polished, just a generally better choice if all other things are equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.