Intel Pro/1000 PT wouldn't be recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

makarov

Cadet
Hi, guys,

For increasing network bandwidth, I built up my nas hardware as below, but the intel NIC couldn't recognized by the FreeNAS.

CPU- intel i3-4130T
M/B- ASUS H87I-Plus
MEM- UMAX TCDDR3-4GB-1333 2GBx2
HDD- 4x HGST travelstar 1TB/7200rpm/32MB
SSD- Plextor PX-256M5S
NIC- intel PRO/1000 PT quad port server adapter
Case- DIRAC HD MASTER MINI
FreeNAS- v9.2.1.5

I've confirmed following troubleshootings

- If the NIC is installed to other M/B (ASUS P8Z77-v Deluxe), all ports are recognized and reply pinging.
- Once other pci-e card is installed to the same slot of H87I-Plus, the pci-e card is working successfully.
- FreeNAS can recognize a onboard NIC of H87I-Plus properly, which is intel one, too.

So, I'm sure that this problem is neither the NIC failure nor the M/B failure.
And according to past forum, it seems that some guys used to adopt same NIC for FreeNAS actually.

Then, could you give me some advises or guides to address this issue?
(I guess some bios tweak may be needed)

Or, would you recommend alternate NIC, which has 4 ports of RJ-45 and is designed to insert PCI-e.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A few basic problems:

Your system is inadequate for FreeNAS. You need 8Gb of RAM (non-negotiable), for starters. Then, using non-ECC memory is a very bad idea. The memory you're using sounds especially shady. What the hell is the SSD for? Did you even read any document regarding FreeNAS hardware requirements?

Now, your issue:

That NIC is a discontinued model with no driver support. Are you sure it even works under FreeNAS 9.2.1? What OS was the other system running?

Scot

Cadet
I have the same mobo and network card and am seeing the same exact thing. The 4 port NIC is not see by freenas. I upgraded the mobo firmware to 1008 and still no network card.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a possibility your motherboard isn't fully supported in FreeBSD. We recommend server-grade only, and part of it is because desktop boards often don't work quite right with FreeBSD/FreeNAS.

Scot

Cadet
Cyberjock,

Can you direct me to a doc that describes how to tweak FreeBSD in such a way that I can get this configuration (unsupported) working?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Unfortunately, no. It's one of those "if you have to ask how you can't do it".

Keep in mind that my opinion that it may be your motherboard isn't a "for sure" thing. It may or may not be your motherboard. There's a reason why you don't see non-server-grade motherboards here much and they are never recommended in any of our stickies. They are loaded up with all sorts of great stuff that might be great on a Windows desktop, but you aren't building a Windows desktop. I use Gigabyte exclusively in my desktops, but you will never see me recommend Gigabyte for a FreeNAS box. That's just the harsh reality of it.

Scot

Cadet
Now that is some stellar advice right there cyber
Unfortunately, no. It's one of those "if you have to ask how you can't do it".
I find myself solving all sorts of problems like this and when I get an answer like yours it makes me more determined to come to some cold hard facts as to why it will not work.. Not some wishy washy reason like , ECC this or no audio that. Harsh reality? really? If I was 100% concerned with 100% uptime and 0% chance of data loss why would I roll the dice with a freeware product that has unpaid 'support' jamokes? Why wouldn't I just buck up and pay top dollar for a service I just set and forget. If you are a representative of FreeNAS then I think this project has an identity problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
/sigh

Well, good luck in your endeavors then...

Status
Not open for further replies.