Installing other programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUTNDUN

Cadet
I would really like to try FreeNAS but don't know if I will be able to use it. The server I am building is primarily going to be for backing up our websites as it's primary function and a file server as it's secondary function.

I also run distributed computing projects like World Community Grid. I want to find out if it is possible to install the Boinc manager with FreeNAS. I am sorry if this is a newb question.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

NUTNDUN

Cadet
I should also add that I would like to setup a mysql database to be a slave database to our webserver so I would like to know if this is possible also.

B

Bohs Hansen

FreeNAS 8 is based on FreeBSD 8.2, so if the progs exists for this you can. You'll just have to do it manually (for now). There is planned a plugin system for FreeNAS 8.1 (see roadmap)

NUTNDUN

Cadet
Thanks for the response. My server parts will be coming on Tuesday and once I get it built I will mess with it some and see if I can't get Boinc to compile and work for me. I am pretty sure I won't have a problem getting mysql working. I know my server will be a little overkill for NAS but I figure if I am going to have it on all the time I want to put it to good use with one of the distributed computing projects for science research.

bubulein

Explorer
Moin,
this is an old Thread but if you are still interrested I can tell you that it is possible to participate on Boinc.
Currently my Nas is crunching for Seti@Home/Astropulse.
Also it is possible to run other Applications and Services as well. For example my NAS provide svnserve and a Apache/MySQL/PHP for an Intranet. While most of the time I recomment to use jailed enviroment, it is easier to use a chroot for stuff like Boinc.

-Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.