FreeNAS Boinc Work Unit Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentJuno

Dabbler
Hi All,

I am cross-listing this thread with another that I have posted in the World Community Grid forums. I'm just curious if any other BOINC users outside of WCG have bumped into a similar problem and perhaps have been able to solve same. Your comments are appreciated.

Hi All,

I have a FreeNAS system at home acting as a home server for storage, Plex, etc. It sits idle much of the time, so I decided to run BOINC off of it. I used to be signed up to all projects in WCG but I noticed some weird results.

For OET, SCC & ZIKA, my server runs into an invalid result for at least 50% of the work units. However, MCM never returns an invalid unit. I simply run MCM units now, but this issue kind of irks me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about these invalid results?

MoBo: Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F
CPU: Xeon E3-1220 V3
RAM: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GB+8GB)

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I was able to make a custom Ubuntu jail in FreeNAS to run BOINC but it was a real pain to update it so I changed the way I did things, I now use ESXi and run Ubuntu in a VM and then BOINC in that.

When FreeNAS 10 comes out (in 10 days?) then you should be able to create an Ubuntu (or your favorite OS) VM using bhyve and then run BOINC in that.

I know it's not the answer you desired but...

Also, I'm positive I saw something on the internet which provided a step by step installation of BOINC on FreeNAS, it was about a month ago and it looked like a good posting that was fairly new. I didn't use it since I have a better method on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.