Installing on a old Datto...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITBeefarmer

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I've run into a issue with a old Datto Alto that I'm converting to a FreeNAS. I'm trying to use 9.10.1-u4 that I just downloaded to some spare flash drives.
All the system info I can get from Datto is: quad core AMD processor, 8 GB of DDR3, a 1 TB 7200 RPM

I was able to get the install to work when I installed it directly on the HDD of the Datto (rookie mistake). But once I realized I needed to run it from the USB drive, I began the install process again, and I've only run into issues.

I've created 2 different USB Drives (2 different download's of the ISO) each runs into the same issue. Upon powerup I get what looks like the usual text dump, but then I hit a wall at:

Code:
GEOM: ada0: the primary GTP table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: ada0: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly adbvised.
Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default []... (bit of a pause here)
init: can't exec /bin/sh for /etc/rc: Input/output error
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

and then I can't move foward.

I'm new to freeNAS forums so if I forgot to add something please ask.

Adding screenshot: https://goo.gl/photos/YxszVEBCDrUC4Xer5

Thanks!
ITbeefarmer

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
The hardware is far from recommended. You'll probably be better off with either a raw FreeBSD or Linux installation.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The error is just a GPT error, usually due to use of dd to write an image. But this might also be due to an incomplete install on the hard drive, and the installer finding the label to that non-working install and trying to use it instead.

Just in case, it's important to realize that an installer USB stick cannot overwrite itself. Two USB sticks would be needed for that, one for the installer and one for the destination. Attempting to install over the installer would give an error like that shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.