Installing FreeNAS 8.x on HDD with RocketRAID 2680 support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabau

Cadet
As the title sais it, i wanna install FreeNAS on HDD or USB stick but with possibility to write files on the partition that the system installs to, and not lose any setting or files after a reboot. my hardware is NORCO NAS Storrage with 24 1TB SATA HDD's, with 3xRocketRaid 2680.

1. What version of FreeNAS 8.x has support for RR2680 ? - Tried latest v8.3 of freenas, does not recognize controllers.
2. Do I have to install on dedicated HDD? - can't i just install on one of the 24 HDD's already in the NAS ?
3. If I install on USB, is there an option for read/write partitioning? - or USB is for read only?
4. Why is there a problem (I see its common) with booting from USB after installing file sistem on it.
5. What version (LiveCD or Embedded) is more ok to install on HDD/USB ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, you can make the USB drive writable, but there isn't much space. You are far better off just using a hard drive or another USB stick to store your data. FreeNAS is written with the intention of it using the USB key, and only it. There's a bunch of reasons why trying to use a USB stick for something else is a bad idea.

1. I don't think FreeNAS supports the 2680. Did you try searching the forums? It appears to not currently be supported. I've been designated the unofficial Highpoint guru since I own each of the latest generation of RAID controllers, except that one. I even have the recently released 4520 controller.

2. You can install to a HDD, but its strongly recommended to install to a USB for many reasons.

3. The USB is read only, except to the operating system, to prolong the life of the USB. Besides, the partitions only have a few MB each available, so you aren't going to be able to do much with it.

4. Not sure what problem in particular you are referring to.

5. There is only 1 version. There is no LiveCD version if you want to have a persistent configuration.

alexsabau

Cadet
Thanks so much for your reply. The thing is... i've managed to get it working with freenas 7.2 it recognizes the controlers, everything is ok. but version 7.2 doesn't seem to have support for dual ethernet. (or i-m doing something wrong..) About the shipping the controller to you, it would cost me a bit, i-m from romania,EU. plus the NAS is for my data center. My business is dead without it. Can't really afford to wait longer. Will keep update on things. tnks alot!

One more thing.. The embedded version of freenas does not have the install on hdd option.. :| - any suggestions?
2nd - upon installing on USB... having a very limited amount of space.. what to do when logs fill up the USB? As I said the nas is for datacenter - web hosting to be more exact. I'll have hundreds of conections per hour. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS 7.2 is NOT supported here. FreeNAS 7 was renamed to NAS4Free. You will need to go there for support.

alexsabau

Cadet
okay. forget about freenas 7. want to work with freenas 8.2 stable release. If i give u root access to nas server, i have source code of driver, i managed to recompile it on freenas 8, it sees the controlers but somewhere along the way something goes wrong. will you? :D

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I look at it like this:

1. You want to give me root access to setup your server. While I understand your need to get your server working, that doesn't do much good for the community. FreeNAS is a community project, and I try to stick to working on things that will help the community as a whole. The OS is free, tech support is free on the forum. The only real "cost" is learning the OS and hopefully providing any improvements back to the community. Not to mention that any changes that I make may not be compatible with future versions and if you upgrade you may suddenly see your zpool no longer be available because of the customizations. It's better for you, your data, and the community to get official support for your controller integrated into FreeNAS. So I'm sorry, but I'll have to pass on trying to help you with your server.

2. If FreeNAS 7.2 works for you, why not try NAS4Free? It's the successor to FreeNAS 7.2. Since you previously said that 7.2 works for you, it seems only logical to use NAS4Free.

alexsabau

Cadet
but nas4free is based on freebsd 9.1 ... so.. if the drivers won't even work on 8.x ... i doubt that it will work. but.. i'm just about to test it, so... back 2 u with conclusion.

mbksgx

Cadet
Hello, i have come to this thread from a google search. and i am just asking if 2680 has now gotten any use in freenas? i have a spare lying around and wish to try it in freenas. but if there is no hardware usability in freenas, may i ask if you know of any use for it in linux LOL .. TYVM

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The Highpoint controllers in general just aren't good for FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.