Installed new 9.2.1.3 but had 8.3 version running and now can’t access data from drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayeem

Dabbler
ISSUE: Had version 8.3 previously running on another machine which ultimately stopped working. Went to Fry’s and bought a new box with 8 SATA slots (for future upgrades if needed), new motherboard, Processor, power, 16 GB RAM with the following CPU details:

I am running the following setup for my NAS:
Build FreeNAS-9.2.1.3-RELEASE-x64 (dc0c46b)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16241MB
System Time Sat Apr 12 16:38:05 CDT 2014

I removed the Two 3TB WD (Red) SATA drives from the old system and inserted them onto this new one. I downloaded the latest FreeNAS software, imaged it to a 3.0 usb stick and got the system to “load up” correctly - thus far.

MY PROBLEM: I have valuable data on the drives I loaded into the new system - but currently CAN’T access them because from what I believe this is a brand new setup which doesn’t have any of the old settings. (Not really sure though). I did make a backup of the settings from the 8.3 version (file name: nas-FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)-20140404035653.db).

QUESTIONS:
1. Can I use the backup from from 8.3.0 and somehow import that into the current version and “put back” all the settings, including drive names, users, etc?? Its really important I don’t lose the info on the drives.

2. Is there anything else I need to do or fix?

3. my FreeNas is connected to a monitor and the following error messages keep showing up - any idea what these are and what can I do to fix / remove them?? Is this because of the empty drives in the system??

Attachments

• photo_4.JPG
    photo_4.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 197

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1. Yes.. that's *exactly* what the upload config is for. No data loss.

2. Not sure, you've not given any info except a proverbial "my car won't start". No motherboard, no CPU, no error(that error is probably not related but I can't prove that due to lack of info), nothing to go on.

3. Not a clue.. you didn't say you added any empty drives.. so how am I supposed to know?

Nayeem

Dabbler
Cyberjock,

Replies:
1. Thanks for that good news. Next step - how do I import these settings correctly? I’m not really sure where to begin. Any direction would be appreciated.
2. This question was more related to #1 so I guess we can disregard the early question.
3. As for the error messages. I was questioning whether the fact that I DON’T have any drives in those bays could have been causing this error? My current set up only has (2) 3TB drives and NOTHING else in the others.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1. See the manual. ;)
3. Ahh.. ok. It sounded like you had blank drives because you said "empty drives". "Empty bays" would have been more appropriate terminology.

Nayeem

Dabbler
1. will do.
3. So now that you understand what I mean by empty bays, what does that error mean? I’ve attached a screenshot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That error means the disk da3 is having problems for some reason.

Nayeem

Dabbler
I uploaded the old configuration file according to the directions and now I can’t access my NAS Drive any longer. Any reason why? I just need to get this issue resolved - you mentioned that you offer support services - I think I’m in need of that right now.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not sure why your NAS drive isn't there any longer.. too many variables.

PM me if you want to do some paid support.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Click the inbox in the top right corner and choose start a conversation. Type in my name and hit send. I'll PM you though...

Status
Not open for further replies.