Missing Datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkavis

Explorer
Hi

I recently upgraded from version 8.2 to 8.3. I was trying to take backups and hence directly ran tar commands on the machine after connecting via ssh from a Windows 7 machine. I was running 2 commands in parallel by using nohup command &. The size was getting to 500GB and then my terminal got disconnected. I thought it was due to inactive time I left it as it is and then went to sleep.

In the morning I tried to connect to the freeNAS box but couldnt. The keyboard on the box was also not working. Since the machine once in a while hangs, I rebooted the box. When I tried to access via gui I got errors and when I looked at it shows me that it was trying to do a post and the version is 8.2.

--------------------------------
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.168.0.118/account/login/
Software Version: FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
Exception Type: ValueError
Exception Value:
too many values to unpack
Exception Location: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/models.py in check_password, line 42
Server time: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 20:26:37 -0800
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to connect to the box via ssh and also confirmed that the machine did boot with 8.2 version instead of 8.3.

I was able to navigate to /mnt/ZPOOL but I don't see any of the data sets I used to have.

How can I fix this and get back to 8.3. How do I know if the data is even there?

I Dont even know if the data is there or not or what happened.

I boot from a USB Drive and have 2 3TB drives.

Appreciate any help in this regard.

warri

Guru
Have a look at the output of the following shell commands to find out whether your pool can still be found (they won't change anything on your system):
Code:
zfs list
zpool list
zpool status
zpool import

venkavis

Explorer
zfs list
no datasets found

zpool list
no pools available

zpool status
no pools available

zpool import
[root@freenas] ~# zpool import
pool: ZPOOL
id: 2353235669829167445
state: UNAVAIL
status: The pool is formatted using an incompatible version.
action: The pool cannot be imported. Access the pool on a system running newer
software, or recreate the pool from backup.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-A5
config:

ZPOOL UNAVAIL newer version
gptid/347d92dc-7d4a-11e1-9e46-14dae971d351 ONLINE

I think the issue is its booting the system in 8.2 instead of 8.3. Since I have updated ZFS after the upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3 its not able to show the zpool I believe.

How do I boot from 8.3 instead of 8.2. Not sure what caused it to go back to 8.2

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think the issue is its booting the system in 8.2 instead of 8.3. Since I have updated ZFS after the upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3 its not able to show the zpool I believe.

How do I boot from 8.3 instead of 8.2. Not sure what caused it to go back to 8.2

That sound EXACTLY like your problem. Not sure why it switched back to 8.2. FreeNAS by default has 2 bootable partitions. They are "current" and "previous" installations. When you do an upgrade the "previous" partition is updated, then the boot selection is switched to boot from the other partition. When the machine boots up it will pop up with a menu for 2-3 seconds that says something like

F1 FreeBSD
F2 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1
F6 PXE

You can try pressing F1 and see if 8.3 boots, if not try F2.

In any case, something is up with your setup. I'd probably try a different USB stick and install a fresh install of FreeNAS and import your config file.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Since you do have SOMETHING booted, take the time to download your config in case you need to do a fresh install.

venkavis

Explorer
How do I download my config file with the 8.3 upgrade? I am not able to connect via webgui at all. Is it in some directory or in the USB Stick?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can find it at /data/freenas-v1.db

venkavis

Explorer
Thank you. I copied all the .db files. (one was freenas-v1.db and another was factory-v1.db)

So the only thing I need to do is to create a new usb stick with 8.3, then run from it and then import the ZPOOL?

Any precautions I need to take?

venkavis

Explorer
After a couple of tries during boot process to press F1/F2, it was consistently booting to 8.2.
But today it somehow (unable to explain) booted to 8.3 and system is working normally.
I didn't change the USB stick at all.

Thank you all for your replies & Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.