Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have installed a hdd into my pc and installed nas on it. I have a second usb. Now I want to install nas on that usb and use the hdd as storage. How dot I safelly remove the os on my hdd to install it later on my usb? I do not have data on it.
Thanks for your help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I assume you have no configuration you want to keep (if you do, backup from the GUI and restore it after you've installed to the USB drive), so just wipe the hard drive and install FreeNAS on the USB drive.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hi,
dban is a good tool I have to say but what if I wanna delete freenas? I already made a dvd and changed the boot order. When it restarts I get just a black screen with a dotted symbol in the corner left that keeps blinking and nothing more. So I made a bootable dvd. This gave the same result as with the dvd.

20140621_223409.jpg

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In the BIOS, change the boot priority to load from the DVD first.

Hi,
This is what I get when I change the boot order or boot device:
1.jpg

Then I select the boot medium and press enter.
2.jpg

Now I get this screen.
3.jpg

Now I have waited for about one hour. This is what I get:
4.jpg

Anyone knows what to do to delete the nas os from a hdd? Help is most welcome.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not a clue. Either your CD isn't bootable for whatever reason or the hardware isn't compatible with the software on the CD. In any case, you've definitely got your work cutout for you. :(

gpsguy

Did you try dban? Download the ISO again and burn the image to a CD-Rom this time. You don't need to make it "bootable", if you burn the image, it will be bootable. BTW, use the "quick" option with dban.

Anyone knows what to do to delete the nas os from a hdd?

When you've done that, download the FreeNAS ISO again and burn it to a CD, as you did with dban. It too, will already be bootable CD.

In your first message, you said "I have a second usb" and you want to use it. Is this a USB flash drive? If not, it should be. Most of us install FreeNAS on a flash drive - it's the preferred way.

If you have troubles installing FreeNAS on the flash drive in your server, you could use a different computer to do the installation to the USB flash drive. Once done and confirmed to boot in the other computer, install it in your server and change the boot order to boot from USB.

I have installed NAS , after installing VMWare Workstation on my PC. Now if I wanna take a backup of any PC what would be the next procedure..??

gpsguy

How would you backup your computer if you were running Server 2012R2 instead of FreeNAS?

Find a Windows backup program and configure it to save the backups on your server.

Sent from my phone

Actually I am running windows XP on a computer and VMWare is installed here, and on VMWare I have installed FreeNas. Now if I want to take a backup of a pc. What would be the next procedure..??

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Actually I am running windows XP on a computer and VMWare is installed here, and on VMWare I have installed FreeNas. Now if I want to take a backup of a pc. What would be the next procedure..??

You tell us. I mean, i this were a real file server and not a virtual server, how would YOU do it? That's exactly what gpsguy is saying. That's not a question that this forum should be answering. That is a question you should be able to answer for yourself *before* you start using FreeNAS and/or file servers.

gpsguy

You could use the backup program included with Windows. I have a disdain for the one included in Windows 8/Server 2012.

If you want to backup (copy) certain directories from your computer to the server, consider using Robocopy. It's a free Microsoft utility. It's a command line utility with a bunch of switches, but is very powerful. You could create a scheduled task in Windows to run Robocopy. Search the 'net or this forum for usage - there was a message about it in the last couple of days.

Here's a forum on another website that talks about backup programs. http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forums/backup-imaging-disk-mgmt.97/

Find a Windows backup program and configure it to save the backups on your server.

Hopefully you've read the 2 stickies, "don't virtualize ..." and "if you must virtualize ...".

Actually I am running windows XP on a computer and VMWare is installed here, and on VMWare I have installed FreeNas.

Status
Not open for further replies.