Installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Breger

Cadet
Apologies if this has been answered:

I am a new user and know very little about linux in any of it's forms. I just inadvertently killed my 8.3 installation that resided very reliably on an 8gb USB flash drive.

I downloaded the 9.3 iso and extracted the bootable image for USB flash drives and succeeded in getting the machine to boot. Unfortunately, unlike the 8.3 installation, I could find is no GUI in this version.

I should point out that the previous version of NAS that I had installed easily and was no problem at all to use and maintain.

The machine boots to a prompt that says "mountroot>" and I have no idea where to go from there. I have no problem with a command line. I just have no idea of the commands that need to be invoked.

As a further note, I have several large-ish mirrored sets which were in perfect condition which I would, of course like to be able to mount again.

Thanks,

Joel Breger

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The problem here is that you don't have a proper working USB drive. You need to install the way the documentation tells you to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Joel Breger

Cadet
The problem here is that you don't have a proper working USB drive. You need to install the way the documentation tells you to.

Thanks for the quick response.

I will reread the instructions and get back to you if confused.

Joel Breger

Cadet

Sorry for not having responded sooner. I have been otherwise involved. Perhaps I forgot to mention that I am attempting to install the 64 bit v9.1.

The USB flash drive that I am using worked fine with my 8.x version of FreeNAS. I have followed the documentation to the letter.

When I boot from the CDROM, I get a list of devices to install to, but unlike my previous 8.x installation, the USB flash drive does not show up as a choice.

When I go into the ISO and extract the .img file and write it as directed, (I have read the directions and followed them several times) the machines boots as described above.

In summation, I have a working USB drive, good USB ports (both worked fine with FreeNAS v8.3) and I have read and reread and followed and refollowed the posted documentation.

Something else must be wrong.

Is there a chance that you could try writing a flash drive with the img file enclosed in the v9.1 iso and see what you get? I know that this would be a pain, but it would help me to know that you were getting either the same or different result.

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Joel Breger

Joel Breger

Cadet
I dont ever pull the img from the iso...I always dd the xz file

This time, I found the link to the Flash Drive image. It never occurred to me to look for an image that was written specifically for flash drives. You are the one who made me realize that error. I had downloaded the ISO previously and, unlike the previous 8.3 installation, when booted, it did not offer me the option to install to my flash drive. Since I had the ISO, I simply followed the directions. If you go to this link, (instructions for burning an image file) you can easily see where I went wrong (those were the directions that I followed exactly) .

I have gone and downloaded the XZ image file designed specifically for flash drives, extracted the IMG file from it, and have written it to my flash drive. It is late now and I will get back to you tomorrow with the results.

Thanks again for your help.

Joel Breger

Status
Not open for further replies.