Strange installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfextreme

Cadet
I don't quite understand what's happening, but I downloaded the newest iso (9.10)from download.freenas.org. I've tried to use a usb flash drive for installation (no cd-rom). I've used both isotousb and I've uncompressed the iso and transferred them to the flash drive. However, when I've tried to install freenas, it's installing naslite-m2. Can someone explain what the heck is going on? Why is naslite showing up when every iso I've downloaded says freenas?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Try using rufus to write the image to USB. Sounds like you have another bootable image on the USB drive.

golfextreme

Cadet
That's the strange thing. It's a completely clean flash drive. Each time I've tried writing an image to it,i format the flash drive first. This isn't my first rodeo and I know the basics. That's why this whole thing is so darn strange.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Sorry, had to check. :smile:

Any chance you have an ISO mounted via IPMI?

golfextreme

Cadet
Nope. I've gone very simple. Windows 10. Downloaded several times 9.10 from download.freenas.org. Used isotousb to burn iso to flash drive. Naslite-m2 install. Tried downloading new iso from download.freenas.org. Formatted flash drive. Transferred files from iso image directly to flash drive. Still brought up a naslite-m2 install. I have no idea where this naslite image is coming from. I haven't used naslite in years. No trace of it anywhere on my system or flash drive. The only place it could have come from is the iso I've downloaded from freenas.org.

golfextreme

Cadet
Well, I used rufus and it worked. Very strange. I have no idea why naslite kept showing up.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
OK, this is has my vote for the weirdest post for 2016.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
OK, this is has my vote for the weirdest post for 2016.
You might want to look at some of mine recently. This one sounds downright plausible in comparison. :p

I'd say some stupid bug in that isotousb thing, where it uses some old cached ISO. Possibly partitioning the drive in a way that hides what's going on from your casual observer.

Status
Not open for further replies.