Installation on USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesnofla

Patron
Hi all, after I read the manual concerning FreeNas I'm ready to go, but I wonder if you could help me? Is it possible that I do the download of the image on my notebook and then install the iso into the USB also on the notebook? Afterwards I will use the USB for my NAS PC, is this possible? I couldn't find any comment on that.

best regards
freenassnofla

gpsguy

Yes you can do it that way. We often recommend it as a way of getting the OS installed on a flash drive.

Sent from my phone

Freesnofla

Patron
I got the point thanks for helping me out on that, but then I cover a new task about the RAID. I found a power point where I saw all the different possibilities. I do have two Samsung 2 TB Hard disk running so when I understood it right I could run a mirror RAID does this mean that I still will have the data valid when one of the Hard disk fails? Or would it even be better when I split them up in 500 GB partitions, I really do not feel comfortable concerning that task. What would you recommend to do? If I split them up in 500 GB i would get 8 out of it but is that more secure or even faster?

gpsguy

Yes you can create a mirror with your 2Tb drives. If you look at my signature you'll see that I'm doing that too.

If one drive fails, the data is still accessible on the other drive. Obviously you'd want to replace the failed drive ASAP to ensure fault tolerance.

Sent from my phone

Freesnofla

Patron
Well for a newbie like me really a strange way forward, finally I got the installation done. Also the RAID mirror should work. Anyway what would be the next steps? How can I define extra drives, I like to have that one for users, for my wife and son and I would have the media files also stored there. Is there any possibility to get that done in a understandable way. Really explained for a newbie, I can't follow the user guide yet as I lost the overview :-(. We are all running Ubuntu on all devices so I need the NFS setup. Finally I would install the Plex server.

Auswahl_001.png

gpsguy

One can glean alot of help from other posts on the forum. I often use Google to search the FreeNAS forum. For example you might try:

site:forums.freenas.org NAS shares with Ubuntu

Since the Plex plugin is fairly new, I'd look for help in the FreeNAS plugins forum.

If you have additional questions, create a new thread. You've already solved the USB installation issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.