Install FreeNAS onto Iomega nAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyjjj

Dabbler
Can FreeNAS be installed on an external Iomega NAS drive?
The IOMEGA alreday has some torrent software running on it but I want to run it with Sick Beard and am not sure if the firmware can be flashed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a whole bunch of models of IOmega NAS. Can you be more specific?

I will say if it's not an x86 based CPU the answer is no.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The iomega stuff is mostly non-x86. I believe some of the high end "business class" ones are based on Intel, but there they may not have sufficient RAM, and are likely to be somewhat proprietary anyways.

qwertyjjj

Dabbler
The iomega stuff is mostly non-x86. I believe some of the high end "business class" ones are based on Intel, but there they may not have sufficient RAM, and are likely to be somewhat proprietary anyways.

Well...I've got an old laptop that I was thinking of turning into a NAS box but I'm woindering if that might use too much power to leave on 24/7.
Is there another way? Are there drive arrays that you can buy cheaply and then I could just remove the hard drive from the laptop and use it in that and add to it?

toddos

Contributor
What's your end goal? Price? Power consumption?

You can easily put together a PC capable of running FreeNAS for ~$250-300, not including the cost of hard drives. At a current price of $150 for 3TB drives, figure out how much storage you want, what configuration you want it in, and there's your price. For example, a 4x3TB RAID-Z1 will cost you $600 and give you 9TB of space, or you could spend $300 on 2x3TB for 3TB in a mirrored configuration or 6TB in a striped (non-redundant) configuration. You'll have to sacrifice footprint/form factor (you'll be getting a mid-tower ATX system for that price), but compared to prebuilt NAS solutions running $400+ without disks right now, FreeNAS seems a better deal cost-wise and functionality-wise.

qwertyjjj

Dabbler
What's your end goal? Price? Power consumption?

You can easily put together a PC capable of running FreeNAS for ~$250-300, not including the cost of hard drives. At a current price of $150 for 3TB drives, figure out how much storage you want, what configuration you want it in, and there's your price. For example, a 4x3TB RAID-Z1 will cost you $600 and give you 9TB of space, or you could spend $300 on 2x3TB for 3TB in a mirrored configuration or 6TB in a striped (non-redundant) configuration. You'll have to sacrifice footprint/form factor (you'll be getting a mid-tower ATX system for that price), but compared to prebuilt NAS solutions running $400+ without disks right now, FreeNAS seems a better deal cost-wise and functionality-wise.

Price and low power more like in the $50 fir an enclosure and maybe 1tb drive with ability to add more in future. I only want to use it as a PVR with black beard really.
I can use an old laptop and plug in a USB drive if needed for extra storage

Status
Not open for further replies.