IOMEGA Rackmount NAS 450r

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrocco

Cadet
IOMEGA Rackmount NAS 400r

I found an older Iomega rackmount NAS. The model is 400r. It has a license for Windows Storage Server 2003 and searching confirmed that is what it shipped with. So I'm assuming it is x86 architecture.

Apparently, Iomega had Windows installed on the RAID array somehow because there is no other drive in it. However, at some point, someone just wiped all the drives. I'm not sure how to get WSS installed back on it.

It does have both a PCI (not PCI-e) and an IDE header. If I got either a PCI or IDE to Compact Flash adapter, do you think I could get FreeNAS running on this? It currently only has 1GB of RAM (2x 512MB), but I'm assuming this could upgraded at least to 2GB (maybe more, I don't know).

I know it may not be the ideal platform, but since it didn't cost me anything, I thought maybe I could still use it as a decent NAS. Can anyone offer any help?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi vrocco,

Here's Iomega's spec page for the device (I think): https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16218

Odds are if you can figure out how it boots\what it boots from you might maybe be able to get FreeNAS installed onto it. One thing of concern....does it even have keyboard & video outputs?

It's certainly worth trying, if for no other reason than you will likely learn a ton trying....that said, I wouldn't sink a penny into it. Once you figure out how it boots (maybe it runs from one of the hard drives?) you could always try pulling\wiping the drives, install FreeNAS onto an old PATA hard drive & see if it boots from the drive connected to the internal IDE port. Keep in mind that a CF to IDE adapter & a 4GB CF card might cost you $40.00 alone.

If you can get it to boot & can source some more RAM for it it just might run FreeNAS with UFS-formatted drives just fine, but I would set my expectations pretty low as far as success.

-Will

vrocco

Cadet
Good find on the spec page. That looks like the one with some differences. Mine has 1GB of RAM and 4x 320GB HD, so it's slightly higher capacity. It does indeed have keyboard, mouse, and vga ports. I can boot into bios, and I have even successfully booted from a usb cd drive with a Windows Server 2003 install disc. However, Windows setup doesn't recognize any disks. I assume this is because it doesn't recognize the hardware RAID controller. Maybe I'll dig out a PATA drive and try and boot from it and see what happens. Unfortunately, even though I have an IDE header, there's no real good spot to mount a disk inside the 1U case.

I know I'll never get ZFS here, but UFS would be fine. I just don't know if I'd be better off with one of the competing products that are similar to FreeNAS 7 (I don't know if we are allowed to mention other product names here).

I attached a few pics of the unit if anyone is curious. Comments welcome.

Thanks!

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 5.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I saw one of those when I was in the military. Those things are pieces of sh*t. I am so glad I haven't seen another one since I left that duty station. I believe it is maxxed out with 1GB of RAM. Our sister command tried to upgrade it to 2GB and it blew the voltage regulators. Calling IOMega the told us "duh.. it supports only 1GB of RAM".

Underpowered and overpriced is what those were. You may have problems getting FreeNAS to work on it though. It does weird things with video output.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi vrocco,

Check the total height of one of these with a CF card....maybe it will fit and better yet maybe it will boot!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E16822998003&gclid=CI-bmo2QzrUCFaI-MgodI0AAHQ

If it boots a cd via USB grab a FreeNAS install disk and boot it up....see if you can see the drives in the "dmesg"\boot messages. That will tell you if it's worth pursuing further.

Nas4Free isn't much of a dirty word around here, and they do like to tout their "runs on the lowest of the low end" street cred so it might be worth giving that a shot as well.

Keep in mind the best you are going to do is UFS.

-Will

vrocco

Cadet
Looking at it again, the IDE header is actually a 44-pin. So I think the best option would be something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200889255778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The 90-degree angle would ensure it fits inside the case. Or for more money, I guess I could do this:

http://www.amazon.com/AFAYA-Flash-Module-90Degree-Jumperless/dp/B00A2C8E7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361684907&sr=8-1&keywords=AFAYA+IDE+Flash+Module

Probably not worth the extra $50 since I already have a few CF cards laying around somewhere. I'll give it a try when I get the adapter and see how it runs with FreeNAS and NAS4Free. I'm good with UFS. I really wasn't expecting anything more out of this box.

skeezi

Cadet
Hi Vrocco

I am in the same boat as your as far as this Iomega 400r. I really hate to scrap a functional 1TB NAS, but I was hoping to throw some leftover bigger drives in here and use it as a test environment for our IT staff. Did you have any luck with installing Freenas on a CF or bringing new life to this box in any way? Any insight would be appreciated. thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.