Ingesting ExFAT and FAT over VM Ubuntu

Seehank

Cadet
Hey guys,
I am building a rather small NAS from our little video production. We need to store data and sometimes we need to offload them from ExFAT drives to our NAS. I would like to avoid offloading over LAN since it's less convenient.

My assumption is that if I install VM Ubunto on my Freenas/Truenas server, I should be able to plug my External ExFAT drive, to my Freenas, VNC into Ubuntu where I can mount ExFat and simply drag and drop it to the place on my NAS server right? I need GUI since our users are not CLI proficient so we need something simple.

Plug in, open VNC, see my drive, copy files to the correct place.

Now I have 2 questions:
1. Simple, will this work?
2. What do you think will be the performance bottleneck of the Copy process? The VM? USB3?

Thank you for your inputs. :)

sretalla