Incredibly slow zfs send/receive, otherwise seems idle, no other tasks or scrubs, whats happening?

Stilez

Guru
I started a simple backup like Ive done many times. Both pools local, backup pool empty, usual zfs send -R | zfs receive of a current snapshot.

The first 18 TBs ran normally, took just under an hour per TB. gstat showing the target disks pounding - like 300 MB/sec writes. I went away, came back later. It's now been on 22.0 TB to 22.4 TB for about a day. gstat is showing something like *KB* of write a sec not hundreds of MB.

2 source disks being read, out of the 14 or so in the source pool, and they're just 0.3% and 0.5% busy respectively.

The server is otherwise as far as I can tell, totally idle. zpool status -v shows no issues/errors.

50 minutes for each of the first 18 TB, then suddenly today almost no speed at all.

Where do I begin to diagnose and fix whatever's up?

Not a fix but the same happened to me a couple of times, both during large duplications, after the first time it got stuck I added the option to resume on the receive side (-s), so next time just aborted and resumed from were it was.

Stilez

Guru
Not a fix but the same happened to me a couple of times, both during large duplications, after the first time it got stuck I added the option to resume on the receive side (-s), so next time just aborted and resumed from were it was.
I'm using the -s option already. So I could. It's literally idle for seconds at a time, nothing zfs-sending or receiving, no other tasks going on, no background maintenance. Its replicated 400 KB in the last hour.

The destination is a non-redundant pool this time for reasons, and thats OK. It comprises an HDD for data, an SSD for special (metadata). The HDD is a new enterprise drive and zpool iostat -vw shows latencies up to 137 seconds. I wonder if that's it. HDD issue maybe?? smartctl to test it out?

Alternatively, do I kill the send/recv, reboot and resume with token? Did that help you?

What I really want is a way to diagnose whats causing it. Its really strange. If I had a clue what would help for diagnostics, or what was up, I'd bug report it. But I dont know where to begin.

Last edited:

Stilez

Guru
Yes, and IIRC didn't need to reboot, just aborted the send with CTRL+C and resumed.
I can try, and hope it'll work. Never used the resume token before but can't be that hard. But I wonder what the hell causes it, how to.diagnose better.

Stilez

Guru
Disk fails the long smartctl test shortly after starting. Read errors. Contacting supplier and using badblocks -w -t random to confirm if its firmware fixable in the drive. So far no errors from that program. Unclear yet if its a DOA. But at least issue seems clear.

Last edited: