Importing ZFS RAID-Z Pool from NAS4Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueman

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

I built my first NAS running FreeNAS a few years ago, and for the last year or so I've been trying NAS4Free. I've run into a few problems with it lately, mostly with the FUPPES DLNA service. I'd like to try out FreeNAS again with the minidlna plugin.

My question is, as far as migrating back to FreeNAS, is it just a matter of installing FreeNAS as normal, then import my existing ZFS RAID-Z dataset? Or are they incompatible? Is it advisable to recreate the dataset? I have a few TB of data on there and would have to scrape together a few external hard drives and hours of time to back everything up, I'm happy to do it if I have to but would be alot easier if I can just re-import.

EDIT: I should note I'm running NAS4Free 9.3.0.2 - Nayla (revision 1391), released April 12, 2015. FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p13 #0 r281443M, FreeBSD Revision: 199506.

Last edited:

blueman

Dabbler
nas feature@async_destroy enabled local
nas feature@empty_bpobj active local
nas feature@lz4_compress enabled local
nas feature@multi_vdev_crash_dump enabled local
nas feature@spacemap_histogram active local
nas feature@enabled_txg active local
nas feature@hole_birth active local
nas feature@extensible_dataset enabled local
nas feature@bookmarks enabled local
nas feature@filesystem_limits enabled local

GeoffK

Dabbler
you should be fine.

Assuming you don't want to go back - don't forget to upgrade your pool.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
When the zpool was created, what OS did you use? If you remember the version, that would be good too.

Basically the proper answers to your questions are based on the question I just asked. FreeNAS expects the zpool to have been made a particular way. We've seen people that deviated from that by using zpools they created themselves prior to FreeNAS or using other OSes like NAS4Free. Things can work and suddenly not work with all data permanently lost.

So if you created the zpool from FreeNAS, but it was a version from 8.0 or newer (ideally from 9.x) then you should be fine. If you didn't, I'd recommend you look at backing up your data, destroying your zpool, and then creating it in FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.