Import of EXT2 RAID5 possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJVege

Dabbler
Hi guys,

N00b here. :)

I've been putting off setting up a freenas system due to laziness, cost etc... but tonight, my DNS-343 seems to have crapped itself! Unable to boot it!

Soooo, now that I'm forced to set up a freenas box, I have one main question regarding my current disks in the DNS-343.

The DNS-343 formats its RAID 5 volume (4x1TB disks) using EXT2-FS. Will Freenas import this volume? I read it can import single disks, but I didn't see anything about multiple disks in a RAID5.

If not, that's cool.. I'll just have to purchase NAS Data Recovery as well, or find some way to get the data off these drives.

Appreciate any help, and sup to all.

...DJVege...

DJVege

Dabbler
I found this, though it doesn't say anything about RAID volumes. Just ext2 file systems and importing a single disk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
28) How do I manually mount UFS/ZFS/NTFS/FAT/Ext2 filesystems from the command line?

First, there are some useful commands for figuring out which partition you need to mount.
dmesg - useful boot info showing which devices were discovered and their device name
gpart show /dev/disk-device - Shows partitions (slices) of a disk
ls -l /dev/da* or ls -l ad* - Shows actual device name for a partition like /dev/ada0s1a or /dev/ada2p1

Once you have your disk mounted, it should only be copied from, write support to these partition types is considered *experimental* and could corrupt your files. You cannot just mount an entire disk unless it only contains 1 partition. The device names in the examples below must be changed to match what you found with the commands above. None of these methods will persist after a reboot.

Ext2:
mkdir /mnt/ext2
mount -t extfs2 /dev/ada2p1 /ext2
----------------------------------------

ProtoSD

MVP
I can't give you a definite answer, but I'm pretty certain you can't mount/import ext2 RAID volumes. It's not so much a FreeNAS thing as much as a FreeBSD thing. You could try googling "FreeBSD ext2 RAID volumes", but I highly doubt it'll work and I'd hate to see you do something that might further cause problems recovering your data.

DJVege

Dabbler
Ok. Thanks for the reply.

That's fine. It would've just been "cool" and easy if it were possible. If I can't get the NAS working again, I'll use a file recovery app to get the data off it. Hard drives, drive cage and RAM ordered, so I should be building my FreeNAS box in a week or 2.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.