Im lost.....can't get supermicro x9scm-f to post....HELP :)

xtinction

Cadet
First time building a home server, not new to building computers but definitely new when it comes to learning about servers and networking. Long story short, creating a server to hold all of my media files that a separate plex box will access for my plex server. Ran across a build while doing research from another site and decided to go forward with it and use the components below to create an unraid server.

Motherboard: supermicro x9scm-f
CPU: Xeon E3-1270 SR00N 3.4ghz quad core LGA 1155
Ram: Dell Poweredge R210 II 16gb (4x 4gb) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800E ECC UDIMM

Problem is I cannot seem to get the computer to post. Everything is put together (mobo, cpu, psu, ram, cpu fan and case fans), hook up onboard vga to monitor and cannot get anything out of it. Did a little research on the board and learned a bit about the IPMI feature so I went that route thinking i could access the bios to change settings using IPMIView. I was able to find the computer and IP but it is password protected and i used every combination i found online that people said was the default but it wouldnt let me get past, nothing worked. At another deadend. I was about to buy another mobo thinking maybe i have a bad board and when i was on ebay i read a comment from a buyer stating they were having issues with the supermicro board in the beginning not being able to get through password protection in IPMI as well (unsure if they were having post issues or not, sent a message but no response yet). But this person said they were able to get past it after research and finding he could boot to USB with freeDOS and updated the bios to reset everything. I am unsure if this will fix my issue or similar as i said, i am new to this side of computing. If this is my next step, can someone give me some help, guidance, step by steps please.

I know for now i would like to be able to access the computer via the vga port, once i become more familiar with what I am doing then most likely IPMI will be a better solution.

THANK YOU

c77dk

Patron

BeelzebubUK

Dabbler
I had similar problems recently with a Supermicro board. Ended up being a pin on the CPU socket was broken and one of the memory slots was not being recognised. Whenever I had stick in that particular slot it would not boot. Try using just 1 stick of RAM one at a time in each slot.

If you've already tried ADMIN / ADMIN which are the default user/password for IPMI then try this method to reset it back to defaults :

How to reset IPMI BMC to factory default using IPMICFG - ServerHub Knowledge Base

At step 8 it will be back to default

jgreco

Resident Grinch
[mod note: evicted thread to off-topic as this really has nothing to do with FreeNAS/TrueNAS, and is just basic hardware debugging]

xtinction

Cadet
I had similar problems recently with a Supermicro board. Ended up being a pin on the CPU socket was broken and one of the memory slots was not being recognised. Whenever I had stick in that particular slot it would not boot. Try using just 1 stick of RAM one at a time in each slot.

If you've already tried ADMIN / ADMIN which are the default user/password for IPMI then try this method to reset it back to defaults :

How to reset IPMI BMC to factory default using IPMICFG - ServerHub Knowledge Base

At step 8 it will be back to default
I already pulled all of the ram and did 1 at a time in the #1 slot but didnt get any different results before but i didnt try any other of the ram slots a single at a time to see if that would change anything. I will try that later along with trying to reset the IPMI, was using the ADMIN / ADMIN along with a few other combinations i saw people post about but nothing worked. Thanks for some direction

xtinction

Cadet
Your RAM might easily be the problem - some of the Supermicro boards get a heartattack if the RAM isn't on the HCL.
I've had good experience with using Crucial RAM (Micron) found via their system: https://eu.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/supermicro/x9scm-f
of course there is nothing showing using that link for crucial ram. I found some ram on ebay that is on the list for this board that i may buy if no other suggestions work that I receive.

xtinction

Cadet
[mod note: evicted thread to off-topic as this really has nothing to do with FreeNAS/TrueNAS, and is just basic hardware debugging]
sorry, wasnt sure where to start. thanks for pushing it in the right spot :smile: