X9SCM-F-O Wont POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndboost

Explorer
Just got my new board, cpu, and memory in finally and I cant get the damned thing to POST.

Board: SuperMicro X9SCM-F-O
PSU: Zippy R2W-6500P EPS12V Redundant PSU
Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz ECC Un Buffered Memory
CPU: Intel Pentium 2 G2030

I know a few things could be of issue here...

• CPU only supports 1333mhz Memory according to Intel Spec sheets, but i've got a similar cpu running on 1600mhz auto downclocked to 1333 fine in the other room..
  • Board says it only supports 1600mhz with rev2 of the BIOS, but im not sure what rev its on from factory...
  • PSU may or may not be supported, its EPS12V so it should be though
Thoughts? I've submitted a incident to SuperMicro support..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd never use non name-brand RAM with that board. My first guess is that your RAM is not compatible with the board.

You can expect that your incident report will comment with something like "use compatible memory from our matrix" if you told them that you are using that RAM.

That RAM is also 1/3 cheaper than the Kingston memory I bought. And I bought the cheapest RAM I could find that was listed on the matrix. That should be a red flag that something is different about this RAM.

ndboost

Explorer
I'd never use non name-brand RAM with that board. My first guess is that your RAM is not compatible with the board.

You can expect that your incident report will comment with something like "use compatible memory from our matrix" if you told them that you are using that RAM.

That RAM is also 1/3 cheaper than the Kingston memory I bought. And I bought the cheapest RAM I could find that was listed on the matrix. That should be a red flag that something is different about this RAM.

Whats the model # of the Kingston memory you picked up because i dont see it on their spec list.

While it is cheaper, that memory comes straight out of HP servers.

At any rate im pretty sure this has to do with the fact that the board may or may not be on rev2 of the BIOS.

Klox

Dabbler
I recommended this RAM after buying it myself for the X10SL7 + Pentium G3220. X10SL7 accepts UDIMM ECC 1600, and the G3220 only runs it at 1333 MHz also. All four sticks passed multiple tests of memtest86+. Seems like a very comparable situation.

I don't have enough experience to help you debug the problem though, just the above is my recent anecdote.

ndboost

Explorer
alright swapped memory out for the kingston memory listed on the supermicro site. Still isnt working, Super Micro support has taken 3 days to get back to me via email.. not sure what to try next. Someone else with this board care to chime in when the power is on and system is running IS LE4 or LE2 lit up?

Im not even getting beep codes if i pull the memory out. I wonder if I got a defective board..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
On mine LE4 is on and LE2 is off.

ndboost

Explorer
Okay i figured out whats up, seems a pin was bent way out of whack. Not sure how it happened or if it was like that from factory, i know several of my friends apparently have had similar situations.

I'll be getting another 2x8GB Kingston sticks of memory next week hopefully..

Either way system is up and running again and i'm loving the IPMI and integrated dual gigE NICs.

has anyone done benchmarks on LACP aggregated eth ports?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Um... benchmarks of LACP are kind of useless. If you read up on how LACP works you'll learn that unless you have 10+ users concurrently accessing your server its a waste of time. Not to mention that for most people they don't have network hardware and a network configuration setup to make it work so they wonder why their server is randomly going offline.

ndboost

Explorer
Good point, i have it working perfectly fine right now with no issues so far.. streaming 1080p to three devices at once while torrenting..

I think im running into disk i/o issues though heh because the devices have to buffer every once in awhile.

ONe more question, i've read several methods to benchmark disk i/o both locally to the nas and also over the lan..

Is there a preferred method to get accurate throughput rates in lets say MB/s?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is there a preferred method to get accurate throughput rates in lets say MB/s?

Over the network? Just copy a very large file from an SSD on your desktop to the server and watch the speed.

Local performance doesn't matter as long as you hit network saturation (basically 110MB/sec+ copying to/from the server).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

ndboost

Explorer

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You probably damaged it during CPU installation. Believe it or not I've had lots of friends do it wrong despite them building lots of computers in the past. The sockets these days have to be installed in a very special way or you can damage the socket. They are quite fragile.

And if you RMA a motherboard to newegg with a damaged socket or don't reinstall that plastic cover that comes installed when you get the board they will deny your RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.