if_tap Kernel Module (NeoRouter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

csthomas87

Cadet
Hi,

I've been searching for the passed few days to find a way to get NeoRouters client to work on FreeNAS. I am not using a jail right now because I understand there are issues with getting VPN software to run inside of jails. The search button only led me to a few topics on FreeNAS 8, I'm using the latest version, 9.1 where things seem to be a bit different.

I get the error: "/usr/local/bin/nrservice failed to start due to error 0x80070002.". I sent an email to NeoRouters support.
"Based on your log file, nrservice failed to open the device /dev/tap0 . nrservice detects it first, if not exits, it will try to load the module (kldload if_tap) then detects it again.

In your case, it tried, but still didn't find the device.

Please make sure you run the nrservice as root and make sure you have the /dev/tap0 available. "
However, FreeNAS does not include the kernel module if_tap, so it cannot be loaded and no devices can be created. Other forums, where users have gotten OpenVPN to work, have been using if_tun, which is included with FreeNAS. In this case, NeoRouter does not use tunnels, they use taps. I have looked online to see if I can add the module, or download it and place it on my existing installation of FreeNAS but have found nothing.

My next step would be to download a matching full distro of FreeBSD and pull the module from there. Am I on the right track, or is there a much simpler way of doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm old enough to be from the days before loadable kernel modules, and even with them, the kernel and the module have to be compatible. I know that over the years some effort has been put into keeping the interfaces clean, but I would be hesitant to rely on just copying a kernel module over. It'd be likely to work though.

It should be possible to download the sources for FreeNAS and build a version that includes the if_tap module. I haven't done this recently though.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Did you ever get NeoRouter running on FreeNas? I'm considering it for the systems at my DR locations. It seems like an easy way to configure a secure VPN and be able to use replication.

Status
Not open for further replies.