Idea: File Server for neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nindustries

Patron
So I am using FreeNAS alongside MediaPortal (or any other media center application as you like), as I'm sure most of the people here do too. And I was brainstorming about the following..

What if I setup a 'big' file server that would contain Media files such as videos and pictures. HTPC's would be setup to connect to this file server, using for example VPN or a direct connected UTP-cable.
And then I would setup a tuner farm server that would distribute sat tv to all connected htpcs in my street. Using a coax splitter/amplifier, I could use as many tuners as I want. Neighbors would pay a small fee per month, and get movies/TV at home and on their mobile via their own htpc.

So I have the following questions:
- Has this been done before?
- Does local traffic in our street stay in our node, or does it has to go through our ISP. (for delay issues)

Yatti420

Wizard
I remember the days I could see everyone computer on a university LAN.. Sad really.. Scary..

Yes it has been done.. Most "services" I see are fully cracked freetoair/sat boxes..

Hacking alot of the older Sat receivers with a paperclip was pretty fun..

The legal troubles you can get into are simply not worth it.. I can see the book coming down on you even harder for attempting to monetize that type of service..

I give my friends access all the time via sftp.... With appropriate permissions.. They can't delete so it makes it a little safer..

Status
Not open for further replies.