I need help removing log VDEV from a pool in TrueNAS Scale 22.12.3.3

I_am_Venganz

Cadet
I added an SSD log vdev to a pool but for testing, I didn't see any improvements or change to my RW so I needed to take it off and use it for installing containers and apps. I could not see a way to take it off so first I took the drive offline and then reformated it for the app storage. the only issue there is once it took it offline it made my pool degraded and I don't see how to take the log vdev out of my pool in the web interface of the latest truenas scale. I have tried following instructions from the internet but none has worked, I have data on that pool and cannot lose them. please how can I remove the log vdev from my pool and get it back to a healthy state?
Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 10.42.07 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 10.43.27 AM.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You'll need to do that at the shell/CLI.

Start from zpool status

I_am_Venganz

Cadet
It worked, I just wanted to add for anyone who sees this, if you setup your truenas and don't use root, the zpool command does not work without sudo. I had to sudo su and then ran the zpool commands. Also, since my log vdev was not mirrored, there was no pool name so what I did was type zpool remove <name of main pool> <drive ID from the zpool status>. My drive is now online and healthy Thank you @sretalla

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello @I_am_Venganz

There shouldn't be any need to use the CLI to remove a log vdev under normal circumstances - use the Topology button under the Storage pane, and then select the missing drive and choose Remove as shown in the screenshot below:

1691761955753.png

There is a bug though that hides this button incorrectly; this should be corrected in 22.12.4 and later versions.

Last edited:

sretalla