I Need Help.... How do you remove a failed drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutanekai

Cadet
Yes I need your help please.

About the time that 8.2 was released I built a NAS using a Dell PC with two 1TB drives and an external boot thumb drive. This has been working continuously until Friday. One drive has failed.

The problem is how to tell FreeNAS to detach the drive and accept the new one. I have reviewed the documentation but find that buttons like offline or detach don't appear on this system.

Would someone please advise me of the correct method or where I can find more detailed and appropriate documentation. My FreeNAS is 8.2 Release -P3. I am not using any Raid. The existing drive and a new replacement drive are visible in the c-mos.

Mike

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Check out the manual at doc.freenas.org. Make sure you use the manual that matches your version of FreeNAS.

warri

Guru
Did you look in the correct documentation for 8.2.0? The wiki only covers the upcoming 9.2.0. Unfortunately, I can't really find the old documentation anywhere.

You could upgrade to 8.3.2 before replacing the disk, the manual can be found directly near the download link.

EDIT: You are fast! I was obviously looking for the old docs at the wrong place.

Tutanekai

Cadet
Thanks so much for responding so quickly.

My FreeNAS version is FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288).
8.2 is actually FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3.

OK. I have now read the section (10.8.9 How do I replace a bad drive?) from 8.02.

I have not used any Raid on my FreeNAS so does the Zpool commands still apply?

Mike

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should not go to the FAQ and instead follow section 6.3.9 of the manual for 8.0.2. I'd recommend you uprade to 8.3.1 or 8.3.2 before doing the disk replacement, then follow the guide for that version. It's more thorough with its directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.