i having the user rights mixed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnurrDass

Cadet
hi
i'm having a FreeNas setup and had been up and runnig 4 CIFS share to my mediastations around the house.
and it works superb..

Now i'm getting it out to FTP share and now i'm having problems whit user rigts.

STORAGE setup

i did chmod 755 on all folders in all my ZFS Storage (5)

Storage1
- Media1
- Music
Storage2
- Media2
Storage3
- Media3
Storage5
- Media5
Storage6
- Users
-(username_1)
- Upload chm 700 ( this folder must be accesed by me to move Uploaded Files to it destenation)
- Media1 ( Read only) (soft-links. dont work)
- Media2 ( Read only) (soft-links. dont work)
- Media3 ( Read only) (soft-links. dont work)
- Media5 ( Read only) (soft-links. dont work)
-(username_work1)
- /mnt/Storage6/users/(username_work1)/folder_name (all rigths)
-(username_work2)
- /mnt/Storage6/users/(username_work1)/folder_name ( Read only)
- /mnt/Storage6/users/(username_work2)/folder_name ( Read only) (this forlders is manage by me (admin)

USER AND GROUPES
users at mapped at /mnt/Storage6/users/(username) and here i make softlinks to all the
all the storage are mapped owner: root and groupe: wheel

i made a groupe named: g_ftpuser

the user is primary groupe: guests
aux groupe:g_ftpuser

FTP SERVER SETUP:
Path /mnt/Storage6/Users/
Allow Local User Login: ON
File Permission: 644 ( i can't change this to 755 and dont know why. I change the settings and hit save but when i go in to setup again it still 644
Folder Permission 755
Enable FXP: ON
Enable SSL7TSL: ON

this is my setup at the moment.
a user that logs on have a upload folder in his userfolder. i cant upload here.
the soft links is noe showin up in userfolder. but in shell its there. i can acsess ti if i gives the user wheel and root rigths.
i have a vaerety of user that uses my ftp.
i have a file storage that a company uses to distrub to other companys...
and i like to move it to my FreeNas server. but i need to get this rigth before i move enny files.
another porblem that occourd is when a user uploads a file the admin user cannon move it or do ennything to the file before setting chmod 777 and change the owner.
id like the file to auto chmod to admin as owner, so i dont need to chmod all the time

bear whit me for my crappy english..
I am a NOOB at unix/linux/FreeBDS.
moast of this i have google around and use try/error method.

so explain to me in a "ligth" way please. :D

G

gcooper

hi
i'm having a FreeNas setup and had been up and runnig 4 CIFS share to my mediastations around the house. and it works superb..

so explain to me in a "ligth" way please. :D

I think that this document is a good, first light reading for understanding how Unix permissions work: http://www.perlfect.com/articles/chmod.shtml.

Basically you've setup the files/directories so they can only be add/created/modified/deleted by root/wheel (the defacto superuser) with permissions, and read/executable by group wheel (the defacto superuser group) and everyone else.

You need to setup users, groups, files and directories in such a way where users/groups of people can modify files as necessary, maybe on a per-user basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.