I get a blocking error message: Secure Boot Violation

Richardszu

Dabbler
Hello everyone,
After migrating TueNas Core V13 to Scale V22.12.2 unable to fix Apps TrueCharts installation issue with help from forum.
So I decided to install Scale on my Nas DIY. But it's impossible to install it?
I used a 32GB USB boot stick with Etcher and Rufus on a 500GB SSD for the system. I have two 6TB satas for mirrored storage and a 500gb MVME for cache.
During the installation everything goes well I get to the end message the Installation was successful do you want to restart ok
On boot I check the boot order in the bios of the SSD to see if it is at the top of the list. Everything is OK
I restart the Nas and there I have a blocking error message:
Secure boot violation
The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system or UEFI drivers.
Press ok to run the next boot device, or enter directly to bios setup if there are no other boot devices installed.
Go to bios setup > Boot and change the current boot device into other secured boot devices.
[OK]
This is Freenas data disk and cannot boot system. System stopped

I redid the installation several times, same observation, same problem? I tried with another SSD to install TrueNas Core V13 and everything is ok it works.
I also tried with an SSD with Windows 10 and everything works.
I don't understand where the problem comes from. Debian does not want to boot on my Nas? Has anyone had this problem? Do you have a clue to suggest me to solve this starting problem. Thank you for your help have a nice evening :mad:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Have you tried disabling secure boot?

Richardszu

Dabbler
Thanks @Patrick M. Hausen for your answer,
No, you can't disable secure boot on my motherboard!
But I found the solution:
------------------
Problem solved:
------------------
For a motherboard-Asus-Z170-PRO-Motherboard-FR
ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming
MOTHERBOARD ATX SOCKET 1151 INTEL Z170 EXPRESS - SATA 6GB/S + M.2 + SATA EXPRESS - USB 3.1 - 3X PCI-EXPRESS 3.0 16X
Bios American Megatrends V2.17.1246
\!/ You cannot disable > Secure Boot Mode \!/

You have to go into the Bios and deactivate (UEFI Windows)

Go to > Advanced mode (F7) > Boot > Secure boot > Operating system type > Select
[ ] Windows UEFI mode (this is the default mode for Windows)
[x] Other OS
F10 To Save
restart

It's still a shame, but no indication on the TrueNas Scale doc or on the forum, that you have to deactivate the UEFI mode to install TrueNas Scale.
Especially for beginners it's not cool, you can search a long time for the solution. I am disappointed with the debian linux distribution which is supposed to be installable on any PC!!! :mad::mad::mad::eek:
Thank you again and have a good day see you soon :wink:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
TrueNAS boots perfectly fine with UEFI. All my machines boot that way. Whatever this specific Windows mode is you can probably find in your mainboard documentation.

Also TrueNAS is not supposed to be installable on any PC. It's a storage appliance OS intended for server grade hardware, not gaming systems. The hardware you are using is highly not recommended.

Etorix

Wizard
This is actually setting regular UEFI mode rather than disabling it.
Another evidence that computers are like air conditioning and stop working properly when one opens windows.