adding second disk to boot-pool

zyghom

Cadet
hi there,
first: I think this is my first post and I would like to say BIG THANK YOU to all for bringing such a nice system ;-)

second: I installed TrueNAS Scale on my DIY NAS, but during installation I had only 1 M2 SSD. So boot-pool landed on single disk.
I have second M2 slot, I added there second SSD and performed command:
zpool attach boot-pool nvme0n1p3 /dev/nvme1n1p1
now I have mirrored boot-pool
that is ok so far, but, for some reason, when 1 SSD (the old one - the first one where OS was installed on) is removed from the motherboard, the system does not start - I land in BIOS - like if the second SSD had no... grub or so?
If I plug in back the first SSD all is ok (of course)
So I made another experiment - removed the first SSD from boot-pool:
zpool detach boot-pool /dev/nvme0n1p3
all is working, I can boot when BOTH SSD are in, and the root system is on the new SSD
but again: if the first SSD is physically disconnected from the motherboard, the system does not start - it goes to BIOS

this situation seems to me not ok - I probably made a mistake somewhere on the way
I would expect: whichever boot SSD is out of the motherboard, the system can start from the other SSD - is my expectation wrong or is my configuration wrong?

thanks for help please ;-)

status of boot-pool initially:
Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 06.14.45.png

status of boot-pool after attaching the second disk:

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 06.13.31.png

and:

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 06.16.06.png

zyghom

Cadet
I solved the problem. Here is how:
1- detach the new disk - restore the "one ssd for boot-pool" only situation (like the second ssd never happened)
2- start TrueNAS from installation usb flash disk
3- chose "upgrade"
4- this piece of software allows to:
a- recreate the boot-pool on both disks
b- prevail the entire configuration that was found on the "first initial ssd"

5- the only issue that I found was:
a- it wiped out the user folders so I had to restore the keys for admin (.ssh/authorised...)
b- I could not find any other issue

situation now is:
Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 07.16.37.png

and:

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 07.17.19.png

I tried also to find a way to spare few partitions from these boot disks (as they are 512GB each) for SLOG or VLOG or whatever else, but reading here and there that TrueNAS does not help with that or does not even encourage it, I gave up.
Anyway, my system is 64GB of RAM - that should be OK for my entire data pool, right? It is only 11TB (4x 6TB WD Red Plus disks)

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 07.20.35.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I solved the problem. Here is how:
That's one way, or you could have used the option in the GUI that would have avoided the extra work.