Disk migration and mirroring

dibun

Cadet
I am new to Truenas and I have finalized my setup with few apps, Timemachine share and a VM. My disk setup is as follows. There is no redundancy as of today.

- Boot-Pool (512GB mSATA)
- Data pool (2TB SSD)

I want to have redundancy (Mirroring) so I would like to move both Boot-pool and data pool to 2 x 2TB SSD. I have done config backup and heavy_script backup.
I can edit the truenas-install script during install so Boot-pool doesnt take up the entire disk during install.

The HW is mini-pc so I only have 1 mSATA and 1 SATA port.

Can it be done this way?

1. mSATA disk is blank and SATA disk contains Data pool
2. Connect mSATA disk, edit truenas-install script and install the Boot-Pool (64GB)
3. Connect SATA disk with Data pool. Restore backup config and then move the Data pool to 1st disk (mSATA). Once Data Pool is migrated delete all partitions from the SSD disk.
4. Setup mirroring between mSATA and SSD disk.

Is this the best strategy or should I do it in a different way?

Thanks in advance.

Arwen

MVP
Sharing the boot drive is not supported, and may lead to problems;

However, it is possible;
Note that this complicates disk replacement and can lead to data loss. The usual caveats prevail:
  • Buyer beware
  • Here be dragons
  • YALZP, (Yet Another Lost ZFS Pool)

dibun

Cadet
Sharing the boot drive is not supported, and may lead to problems;

However, it is possible;
Note that this complicates disk replacement and can lead to data loss. The usual caveats prevail:
  • Buyer beware
  • Here be dragons
  • YALZP, (Yet Another Lost ZFS Pool)
Lack of disk ports is the issue here for me. I do have mPCI-E port for WLAN cards. Can I use that for M2 drive?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

chuck32

Guru
Honestly I'd rather use an USB drive as the boot pool than sharing the boot drive.
From what I read this should cause less headache if you have regular backups of your config.

Also it's not clear what SSD you would be using: With the 512GB M2 drive you can only create a 512 GB mirror.

dibun

Cadet
Honestly I'd rather use an USB drive as the boot pool than sharing the boot drive.
From what I read this should cause less headache if you have regular backups of your config.

Also it's not clear what SSD you would be using: With the 512GB M2 drive you can only create a 512 GB mirror.
I am thinking to do the same. Does the backup config includes ZFS pool, app settings and app configs inside the app?

Arwen

MVP
Lack of disk ports is the issue here for me. I do have mPCI-E port for WLAN cards. Can I use that for M2 drive?
MiniPCIe or mSATA card slots are not compatible with M.2 slots.

It is likely that the mPCIe card slot for WLAN / WiFi does not have any SATA option.

I am thinking to do the same. Does the backup config includes ZFS pool, app settings and app configs inside the app?
The TrueNAS config backup includes all App settings and configurations that are not already inside the data pool. However, the config backup does NOT include backup of the ZFS data pool(s) actual data.

Basically the config backup is designed to allow full replacement of the boot-pool, in case of boot-pool failure.