I did a bad. ZFS and the log disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

praecorloth

Contributor
So my friends and I were playing around with FreeNAS 8.0.1 a Thursday or two ago. We were playing on my home FreeNAS server because I had wanted to wipe and reinstall anyways. So we got all of the disks in there and were experimenting and playing around. And curse me for not making sure I went back to a clean configuration, but I didn't and now my RAIDZ of 3x 500GB drives has a 640GB drive marked as it's log drive. A single 640GB drive.

Oh dear.

So I start reading about the log drive, and it's a cool feature, but one that I don't need and one that presents a high amount of risk given that there's only 1 drive doing the log drive duty. Is there a way to remove the log drive without risk to my data? Or am I going to have to abandon the RAIDZ, destroy, recreate, and repopulate?

ProtoSD

MVP
The Solaris page says:

If you add a log device to your storage pool, it cannot be removed, prior to zpool version 19. You can find out your pool version by running the "zpool upgrade" command. The Solaris 10 9/10 release includes pool version 22, which allows you to remove a log device.
FreeNAS is version 15, so it would appear that you need to start over again...

Status
Not open for further replies.