HP Z200 Boot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartkrn

Cadet
So today i decided to collect all my harddrives and put them into my old HP Z200. I tried to boot from the USB bootable drive, but it wouldnt.
So i created a bootable dvd and installed it on my 32GB Usb3.0.
After installing it i tried to boot from the flash drive, but it won't, it just gives me a flashing white small stripe in the left upper corner.
I enabled boot from usb, usb is n01 in the boot order.
My Specs:
Hp Z200
i5 660
4gb 1333 mhz ram (i already ordered 4 extra gigs, the ram is ecc unregistered but i have an i5 so it won't do shit)
Nvidia quadro 1800
2x 3tb seagate
1x 2tb seagate
1x 1tb seagate
1x 1tb wd green
I know these drives are bad but my brother has the same movies and series on his NAS with wd red's, so i dont care if they crash.

Help is much appreciated

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Before you can choose the flash drive as a boot device, you must first get it to show up
in the BIOS list as either a hard drive or a USB device. I have posted some visual aids
below, and yes your machine probably doesn't have UEFI but the process is basically
the same, you just have to find exactly how it's named in your bios version.

In this first shot, I have no USB drive plugged in. When I did plug it in, it DID NOT
show up in the UEFI.
IMG_1595.JPG
I then rebooted and it automagically appeared and can now be chosen as a boot device.
IMG_1597.JPG
Last thing to check is maybe you have a "fast boot" option turned on in the bios,
turn this option to disabled and see if the flash drive appears.

Cygnus A

Cadet
So today i decided to collect all my harddrives and put them into my old HP Z200. I tried to boot from the USB bootable drive, but it wouldnt.
So i created a bootable dvd and installed it on my 32GB Usb3.0.
After installing it i tried to boot from the flash drive, but it won't, it just gives me a flashing white small stripe in the left upper corner.
I enabled boot from usb, usb is n01 in the boot order.
My Specs:
Hp Z200
i5 660
4gb 1333 mhz ram (i already ordered 4 extra gigs, the ram is ecc unregistered but i have an i5 so it won't do crap)
Nvidia quadro 1800
2x 3tb seagate
1x 2tb seagate
1x 1tb seagate
1x 1tb wd green
I know these drives are bad but my brother has the same movies and series on his NAS with wd red's, so i dont care if they crash.

Help is much appreciated
Did you get this working? I have the same issue. I picked up a Z200 from work for $100 and figured I can turn it into a NAS. I purchased 4 WD 4TB drives and was excited to get started only to find I can make it boot off the USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.