HP Pavilion P6-2175a Installation Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpsguy

One last thought. If you see a warning message about upgrading your pool, don't do it.

Postponing it indefinitely, won't hurt. But, if you did upgrade, you won't be able to roll back to an earlier version of FreeNAS.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
So these configurations get saved to the data drives then ... ok
Not quite. The configuration (when you click save config), will get downloaded to your client device (like any other web download).

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Not quite. The configuration (when you click save config), will get downloaded to your client device (like any other web download).
Now you are just confusing me .... what do you define as the "Client device" ... surely it can't be the boot media, otherwise how do you restore configuration when you create a new boot media device,
surely it has to be the data drives ........ or are you referring to the machine I am using to view the web page on ...

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
or are you referring to the machine I am using to view the web page on ...
Sorry about that. I mean this^^^. What you use to view the web management page.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
No problem .....

Just one more question before I go, I am finding that copying from a linux box to the CIFS share is very slow ( ~1MB ), I don't know why it is so slow, my network is 100MB ..
I have nearly 1TB of data to migrate ... this could take all year ..

Is there a way on FreeNAS 9.2.1.19 to copy from a disk (if I connect my USB 1TB drive direct to the server). I see ways to do that in 9.3 onwards ... but not 9.2
Maybe ther is a way from a shell? Thanks.

Internet traffic on the server is showing 7..10MB ...

EDIT: In a shell, can I just find the mount point of the connected USB drive and copy from that to /mnt/myvolume/mymedia/ .. where my media is stored? (I don't want to stuff anything up ...)
EDIT2: If I use a windows client, transfer is a bit faster at 7MB .... internet traffic on server 70MB ...

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are you using Wi-Fi? If you have it hardwired it should easily be faster than that unless your hardware is bad or not up to the task

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Are you using Wi-Fi? If you have it hardwired it should easily be faster than that unless your hardware is bad or not up to the task
The linux client was with wifi, the window client was hard wired .... I guess the file transfer is reported as 7Mbytes/sec which would line up with the network speed of 70Mbits per second ..

Still takes an aweful long time to transfer 1TByte of data. SO my question remains, can I connect the USB drive with my media to the server and in a shell do a copy ....
If so, where is the USB drive mounted to, I can't see anything under /mnt

gpsguy

Look at section 3.1.4 (Configure Storage) of the manual

Assuming the USB drive uses NTFS, you could "import the volume" - Storage → Volumes → Import Volume

and try copying the data to your pool. Many users have problems with this and they often end up connecting it to a client machine and copying the data over the network.

It looks like you might have a Realtek NIC in your machine. If so, upgrading to an Intel Pro/1000 CT (~$65 NZD) is highly recommended.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I would also get gigabit networking gear. A new switch can be found for $10.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
@gpsguy
Thanks, but I did try the import volume .... it just sat there doing nothing (web UI said please wait), after nothing happening for 10 minutes I cancelled the operation.
I will see what NIC I have .... what is the BSD equivalent of the Linux "lspci" command?

@SweetAndLow
Not a priority to upgrade my switch, when all my other machines are still 100Mbits. I will be slowly upgrading, but I can't do it all at once ..

@hugovsky
Actually my USB drive is 40Mbytes/sec (400Mbits), so much faster than my 100Mbits LAN.

I might spring for a gigabit switch and 1G card for the server and try and borrow another laptop with a 1G interface to copy the drive contents over ..

gpsguy

Try ifconfig and look at the interfaces. re0 - Realtek, em0 - Intel, bg0 - Broadcom

As I said, you can into problems trying to import NTFS. Sometimes running a chkdsk from Windows helps, other times not.

One thing you might try - give your Windows machine a static IP address on the same subnet your server is on and connect it directly to the server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Try ifconfig and look at the interfaces. re0 - Realtek, em0 - Intel, bg0 - Broadcom

As I said, you can into problems trying to import NTFS. Sometimes running a chkdsk from Windows helps, other times not.

One thing you might try - give your Windows machine a static IP address on the same subnet your server is on and connect it directly to the server.

The usb disk is in ext4 format, windows does not even see that .... my laptop is Linux, but only 100Mbit so would be too slow.
I will try and get an Intel 1G NIC card for the server, but will still need to find a client with 1G NIC that can read ext4 .. between a rock & a hard place here .. :eek:
The direct connection sounds like a good idea though ..

If config shows re0 ...

gpsguy

As I thought, you have s Realtek NIC.

Please look at the section of the manual I referenced earlier. IIRC, ext4 isn't a supported format for imports. The manual lists what is supported by the command.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS only does ext2. :/

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
As a one-time operation, I think I will just attach the drive to the server and copy the files directly to the volume ..
(unless BSD does not support ext4 .. ;)

Edit ... just saw your post ext2 ??? really

gpsguy

Another thought. Boot a LiveCD flavor of Linux on your Windows machine and attach your USB drive to it.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Thanks for all the suggestions, I solved it this way: ...

I ended up connecting a Linux box directly to my LAN, not Wifi, then used SCP copy to transfer directly to the server storage ..
That way I got full 100Mbit (11Mbyte) rate as reported by FreeNAS ..then ran it overnight, all files where there in the morning :)

So in essence, the Samba client in Linux sucks badly, so to recap:

1. Samba Linux - - 1Mbyte/sec
2. Samba Windows - - 8Mbyte/sec
3. SCP Linux - - 11Mbyte/sec

I did not try NFS, I guess that would be much better than Samba for Linux ..

Cheers,

gpsguy

I'm glad to hear you were able to migrate your data to the server.

Bernard Mentink

Contributor
Hey Sweet, you keep missing the point, I have only a 100MBit network, and it is performing at 100Mbit, How do I go faster than the hardware? You have some majic trick or something?
I already said I connected directly via Ethernet ... and also said I can't afford to upgrade to 1Gbit just yet, so making the best use of what I have ..

Status
Not open for further replies.